"Can't record this program because this location is no connected to the network" err

"Can't record this program because this location is no connected to the network" err

I have a Direct TV DVR in a living room then a second unit in another side of the house that can access the DVR for recorded programs.

I recently added a network swith in the living room, so I plugged the DVR into the ethernet line to allow for recording programs I missed part of as a way of having the unit get the full show over the ethernet line. This worked great, until I went to watch a recorded show from the second unit. None of the recorded shows are available, nor can I record any new shows from that second unit. When i attemot to do so I get an error ""Can't record this program because this location is no connected to the network."

When I unlug the etherent cable from the primary DVR unit and power cycle both it and the second unit then my list of recordings are available again. As soon as the etherneti is plugged in and that unit restarted, then the back unit no longer can access the recording list from the DVR unit.

I notice that the second unit also has an ethernet port on it so one thought was that perhas the DVR main unit is getting an IP address then the secondard unit can no longer see it since it isn't getting one from my router. Before I ran a new cable to test this out, I thought I'd ask if this is worth while to try, or if there is some other change I could make in the set-up menu to have the second unit be able to access the recorded shows on the first unit when it was plugged into ethernet.

Thanks for any thoughts.

This question, ""Can't record this program because this location is no connected to the network" error," is about DirecTV channels, programming, equipment, and sports.