Carol Burnett lawsuite against "Family Guy"

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
I found this little tidbit browsing through the Family Guy Wiki page.

In March 2007, famed comedian Carol Burnett filed a lawsuit against 20th century Fox, claiming that it was a copyright infringement for her Charwoman cleaning character to be portrayed on the show without her permission. Besides that, Burnett stated that Fox violated her publicity rights. She was asking for $6 million in damages. On June 4, 2007, U.S. District Judge Dean Pregerson rejected the lawsuit, stating that the parody was protected under the First Amendment, using Hustler v. Falwell as a precedent.
I must have missed this story when it first came out in 2007. This seems so rediculous to me that Carol would even consider a lawsuit. Cartoons like the Simpsons and Family Guy have done parody on numerous actors and characters from other shows through out the years.

I think that burnett is right in this matter because 20th century fox should have atleast consulted him before taking such a big step.Now no option is left for 20th century fox other than to pay the fine.

Last edited:

gencelina

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I get your point. But I don't its ridiculous though. He has a point still. Although you may find it ridiculous what he said still makes sense. Would you not done the same if you we're Carol Burnett?

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Who are you guys talking about when you say "he"? Isn't Carol Burnett female? I think it's a bit ridiculous too because First Amendment rights protects things such as this. Now had they taken one of her songs (if she had one) and used it as their theme song without permission or acknowledgment then that would be different....but mimicking a character she created just doesn't seem like infringement to me. It would be like millions of people getting sued for playing Charades.