Cash for Clunkers gets more cash from Congress

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Congress added more funds Friday to the "Cash for Clunkers" program after using up the originally allocated $1 billion dollars in just one week.

It's motivating Americans to buy cars and help the economy.
It's helping the environment by removing gas guzzlers from the road.
and it's costing tax payers $3 billion dollars total after this latest cash injection.

What do you think?

Piggie

Super Moderator
Better than giving it to the banks. But lots of people are getting new cars off my taxes. I am keeping my old Volvo, because the Gov says it gets 20 mpg. Actually it does 23 over all. My problem though 23 seems low today. I have been driving cars over 20 mpg all my life. Biggest thing I ever owned was a 230 slant six in an old Plymouth Valiant.

Again I am penalized for having been responsible. It's like my kids have better heathcare than me, because I saved some money. Brilliant system. Reward the abusers.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Congress added more funds Friday to the "Cash for Clunkers" program after using up the originally allocated $1 billion dollars in just one week.

It's motivating Americans to buy cars and help the economy.
It's helping the environment by removing gas guzzlers from the road.
and it's costing tax payers $3 billion dollars total after this latest cash injection.

What do you think?
Well, so far the Government website has only let a small percentage of the first $1 Billion dollars of deals get through the system. Some are wondering if the Government will pay or if they will find some loophole to disqualify some of the deals currently accepted by dealerships. Some dealerships are requiring the new car buyers to sign an affidavit guaranteeing the $4500.00 payment if the Government fails to pay. And yes I'll get Political!! Those who are weak or ill can switch the channel and don't read beyond this point. The Government does not belong in the private business matters of the US citizens. They have harmed just about every program they've gotten involved in. Their idea of fixing something is to throw more of our money at it. It took them an additional three weeks to get this program going and after four weeks operating, it only allowed one week of continual operation before they had to shut it down. It was supposed to run from the first of July and continue into November. They only miscalculated by $2 billion dollars so far. Wait until they start the Government run Cash for Obama Healthcare. Keep your hand and feet in at all times and hang on! It's going to be a duzy of a ride. To tie all this back into the DTVUSA Forum, it's like the Tom Hanks movie, The Money Pit:thumb:

I gave you fair warning !

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
This program is ridiculous.

Did you know that the tax code encourages small businesses adn home businesses to buy Yukons and Suburbans.....but buy a small fuel efficient vehicle and no tax favors for you. Now they are going to buy those back?

WTF!

What we need to do is simplify the tax code....and I mean really simplify it. Get the government out of manipulating behavior via the tax code. You shouldnt get a tax break for moving operations overseas or headquarters to Bermuda.

Aries

DTVUSA Member
This is where the bailout money should've gone in the first place. Set aside

ONE TRILLION DOLLARS

After we take back all of those unearned bonuses from the CEO's (plus tax) and everyone in America will get a new car.

My stepdad could really use one, he's got a Ford Thunderbird that has a handful of issues with it, but damn that thing refuses to give up.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Better than giving it to the banks.
True... But now that some of those banks have restored their balance sheets and wish to re-pay the funds, guess what? Tiny Tim Geithner won't take the money back! You read that right: There wasn't even a cautionary, "Are you sure about that? You can re-pay the money if you wish, but you better be right about your health, because the TARP window is closed to you once you do so." That would have been fair. This government is much more interested in the heavy yoke of meddlesome regulation than it is the health of the economy.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
That was the Bush Administration, Don. To be fair.

Did anybody see the Frontline doco which showed how Bank of America got screwed over by the US government. It bailed out Merril Lynch at government request....and then they lined up the CEOs and the Democrats upbraided him for saving Wall Street. Some thanks that the Southern boys at BOA recieved there. They were in good shape and not into the shennanigans and scams those Northern boys were into. BOA average pay is $75000, Merril Lynch $ is more like $200,000. Major culture clash ensued where the Northerners sneered at BOA management.

This all goes back to the Civil War, where the Sneering Northern Puritan Industrialists won and instituted the Corporation as person.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
It doesn't appear the Cash for Clunkers program has got the cash just yet? Congress has voted in favor of an addition $2 Billion for the Cash for Clunkers program. The Senate has until weeks end to vote in favor of the additional funds or the program will not be revived. It does appear the program has helped the US auto industry?

Monthly Ford sales up for 1st time in two years

July sales results mark the first year-over-year gain for Ford since November 2007 and apparently the first uptick by any of the six biggest carmakers since last August, George Pipas said.
“We were having a good month — and Ford’s been having some good months lately — but the (clunkers) program really put us over the top for sure,” Pipas said in a telephone interview.
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said Sunday he expects the current $1 billion pool, which had been expected to last until November, to be exhausted by the end of this weekend. The House on Friday approved an additional $2 billion, shifting funds from a renewable energy loan program, and the Obama administration is pressing the Senate to go along before its summer vacation begins at week’s end. If the Senate does not approve the additional funding, the progam will have to be suspended.
Monthly Ford sales up for 1st time in two years - Business- msnbc.com

This may come late but i think this is an insult to anyone who wants to keep their old car or the classic car community. it's another Government tactic to buy out our freedoms and get into some kinda car the Government wants. before long we're going to be driving the same thing and living in the same kinds of homes if we keep allowing our Government to take advantage of us.

I think they should at least allow the 'clunkers' as they call them (a lot of them are nice cars and perfectly safe and would do far better than being dumped in a landfill :( ) to be sold to someone who loves collecting old cars and someone who will do better with them. this is the first nail in the coffin of the Classic Car community.

I think it's sad how every other commercial thinks i'll want to give up my beautiful 1984 Chrysler Fifth Avenue for one of those crappy starship-enterprise style high tech abominations they make now. no way. never. in a million years. i will NEVER buy a new car. not until they can take out 90% of the crap. make them from steel, not alluminum and plastic. get rid of the airbags and DVD and other distractions and keep them as options instead of standard. some people don't like all that felgercarb.

It's high time people stop this disposable society we seem to be getting into. and stop allowing the government to nanny us. gosh sakes stand up for your rights people! tell the Government to stick it up their butts and decide what YOU want and do things YOUR way. stop throwing things out every week or two and appreciate what you got and keep it. heck whatever happened to 'if it ain't broke don't fix it?' my great grandfather would be ashamed of people today.

Last edited:
Where i grew up a 'clunker'(and its synonyms 'junker' 'beater' and 'lemon') is a car that is no longer functional. or to the kids out there, 'bricked' as in useful as a brick. when did it suddenly become the norm to call any car over 10+ years old a 'clunker' just for being old? and what's the government got against us driving nice old classics?

It may not seem like much today, but my Fifth Avenue gets 20MPG highway. and this is with RWD, V8 318ci 2bbl Carb Engine, no overdrive, and points ignition (i put the points in place of the stupid computer-controlled spark because it's better than that and fuel injection IMO). looks and runs rather well for what the government is calling a 'clunker'

And no, i'm NEVER going to sell it or junk it. i fix all my stuff. a skill lost on today's generations.

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
They don't put them in landfills. They sell them to Asia markets for the steel.

EV, in order to get to the page in the movie, you have be an authorized CARS dealer. People at home don't have to worry, they can't even get to that page. I know, I tried it at home.

Piggie

Super Moderator
And no, i'm NEVER going to sell it or junk it. i fix all my stuff. a skill lost on today's generations.
Why I drive 1986 Volvo. Already burned up one engine that only lasted 365,000 miles. So I hunted for another. They haven't made a B23F engine since 1993, so the newest one I found had 165,000 on it from a wreck. Had my mechanic swap it out. Now I have another 200,000 miles. I have though about just buying some low mileage Volvo and moth balling it until I need it. You can still find some with less than 150,000 on them.

I also have a 1987 Dodge Dipolmant SE, which was Dogde's version of the 5th Avenue I think. It has 170,000 on it and it could use a new engine, but runs. Currently we have it moth balled and the wife is driving a 1999 Voyager we found dirt cheap.

Some one that goes down and buys a new car today, will have spent more on it than I have in my entire life. All except my first car as teen have had AC, Stereos, you name it, everything worked.

I also always called a clunker a car that broke a connecting rod or piston, because of the sound.

yep the Dodge Diplomat SE is the Dodge-badged version and has a lot of the Fifth Avenue stuff. the regular Dodge Diplomat base package was also used as a cop car and you can spot a few in 1980s movies.

They were also built on the M-body platform, which shared a lot of components with the F-body Aspen and Volare. in fact the entire front end and front doors of a Aspen or Volare is a direct bolt-on swap to a Fifth. they're completely interchangeable.

I don't like the high tech of new cars. they seem more distracting IMO than a cell phone. i prefer my radio buttons on the radio where they belong, not in a cryptic pattern on the steering wheel. in my opinion the cars today are ergonomic nightmares. and with more standard stuff there's more to go wrong, and to DIY on a new car you'll spend more on the special tools to diagnose the electronics than buying a replacement car should yours break.

I'd rather have a car i can keep for a long time, if not a life time, vs. replacing one every few years. today's society is too wasteful. you want to know where i got my 84 Fifth? yup, a junkyard. it was wrecked and totaled and bought from the auto auction with a clean title, and i got it for $350. now the fender's fixed and everything works. the driver's power seat is the only part not functional. i think the wiring harness is bad.

That's the purpose of my shop at home. to fix things people throw out or give to me. i just got a B&W GE TV going and even bought a converter box for it and use it outside. mainly for weather and radar.

I took right after my great grandfather. he always appreciated what he had, even if the neighbors had much nicer stuff. if he were still alive and saw a HDTV, he'd still be happy that he even had a TV, even if it was only a old 1960s Color console with mechanical tuners. he never knew the meaning of the word 'upgrade'. only if it was non-repairable, would he replace anything. most of his radios and TVs still had vacuum tubes.

There's a certain pride i get from taking someone's non-functional trash and making it work like new again. call me old or unhip but that's how i feel about it. i am also recycling and not allowing stuff to go to waste.

I'd feel better about Cash for Clunkers if the cars traded in were't sold for scrap, but fixed up and resold as certified used vehicles. there's just so many going out that are still great cars. i find the program another wasteful throw-away program

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
I come from a displaced generation DTV,. My parents met in 1941, both "old Maids" so to speak. Dad was 36, Mom was 29. They planned to marry, which then was old to get married. But a little thing called Pearl Harbor happened and Dad didnt turn 37 until Feb of 1942, so he was drafted in the mass draft following Pearl Harbor. They didn't get married until after the war. Then I was the second kid and born in 1953 when Dad was 48. Even when I was a kid, other kids asked me if I lived with my grandparents. So a generation was skipped. My real piers generational wise are all in the 70s and 80s. So I really come from a different time based on values they taught me.

Dad fixed everything. When something went in the garbage it was really trash. He made stuff out of things others threw away.

So I was seeped in that kind of thinking. One good example besides driving old cars is when I started playing with Ham Radio in the 70's everyone was buying Yaesu and Kenwood transistor rigs. I bought the stuff they were selling a fraction of the price from the 50s and 60s era with tubes. Most had problems so I had to fix them. Even funnier back then transistor receivers were terrible on intermodulation distortion from mainly overload of a signal near the one you were trying to receive. Well my old tube receivers could hear them fine. These guys with the nice shinny new ham shacks would ask me how did you do that? And only running 100 watts? I said because I could hear him answer me. Or people would ask me if I was ghost talking to some DX station because they could not hear them. Tube receivers were much more tolerant in that day.

We throw way too much stuff away today. Trouble is a good deal of it is not fixable. You do have to go back to the 1980's to find things repairable.

Which is a good reason to shop second hand stores. I buy a lot of stuff even cheaper than the import junk at the big box stores at second hand stores. It last longer even though it's already 10 to 20 years old than new. It also keeps the money in the country but I guess that is political.

I'm with you on that. i spent a lot of time with my Great grandparents. my parents always worked and sometimes flew out on those 'flying physicians meetings' (dad's a M.D.) so i'd spend a few weeks with my great grandparents. i was an 80s child and at least they had cable so i can admit i enjoyed the cartoons and music, but not so much the computers and such. it was fun but there was no internet to take up my time so i played on games and BBSs (the 'internet' infant) with a 2400bps dial-up modem.

Other than that i found it quite neat that they could pick up cable on a old tube-era color TV that required a 'cable converter box' to pick up cable. a lot like our DTV converters today. reminds me of that a lot.

Sometimes people call me a 'luddite' and/or say 'why not just go back to a cave?' for my inability to see the purpose of upgrades or worse, forced upgrades, but i only upgrade if i see the need for the extra features. until then what i got works. i'm not a primitive, however. my car may not have DVD or GPS, but it does have power steering/windows/locks and Air conditioning and a radio. to me having stuff which seems more appropriate in a RV is more distracting in a car than talking on a cell phone. FYI there are new cars today that have cell phone built in. isn't that a problem already? now it's built in!

Sometimes i wish i lived in the 60s. i didn't but i do wish i could. i loved the high-tech consoles of that time. looked like a inert coffee table. push a button out pops a full-Stereo with phonograph. wow! and for added functionality, the doors open outward on the front to reveal a 25" stereo TV. now to me that was cool! much nicer than the entertainment centers today where everything shows all the time and you have to buy it separately.

And today's HDTVs still can't put out enough bass and clear treble to match a 1960s-era multiplex entertainment center. those jobs had 6 speakers per side.

I may not have one of those, but i do have a console TV that still has vacuum tubes in it (has the 'instant on' features too) and with a clear digital picture, it looks just as sharp to my eyes as a 1080P on a HD set. the only difference is that an HD set looks terrible in SD mode. at least mine looks just as sharp all the time!

There were other examples of 1960s 'furniture'. i saw at a flea market one which sprung up a sewing machine. but also looked like an inert desk when hidden. then there were the 'storage saver' style stoves. the kind which folded up into the wall when not in use, but pull a handle and you had two to four burners. it was so Jetson's.

Oh, and don't forget those huge in-wall convection ovens they used before Microwaves. they may not have done well on microwave popcorn but i never liked that kind of popcorn anyways. i'd trade my microwave in for a convection oven and just put popcorn in the kettle the way it should be. IMO that's the only thing a microwave can do for me that a convection oven can't. make cheap popcorn.

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Furniture electronics is cool. I still have a TV stand my dad made out of an old Zenith he had. Roll front doors. No one today would ever suspect it had a TV in it once. I still use it for a TV stand for my LCD.

You would not have really wanted to live in the 60s. Actually it was one of the biggest times of turmoil. We truly feared atomic war. It's wasn't an idle threat. Anyone that was a live during the Cuban missile crisis new it could really happen, not some plot by the govt to set fear in the public. The Vietnam fired up. Unlike Iraq, we all knew one or more guys that didn't come home. The ones that came home were never ever never the same, well a vast number anyway. By the time I reached draft age (1971) still in high school, it was obvious we were not winning, nor did most of us consider it a just war. Even it was just, by 1968 it was obvious we would not win, hence at least to a lot of us why go there an die? What made it worse than Iraq? The draft. It wasn't an option to go serve or not.

So would I die in Vietnam or from a Nuclear Holocaust? It shaped a lot of my thinking in those days. I remember in junior high our mantra was lets do it, we aren't going to live to see 20 anyway. Maybe it was just an excuse, but few didn't have some fear in their minds.

Now the 70's and 80's were a lot better. If I were to go back in time, I would start about 1973.