CBS plans digital subchannels

dkreichen1968

Staff member
This story published in NAB SmartBrief on 03/14/2011
CBS is planning its first digital subchannels, offering sports, news and programming from the network's properties. The first two offerings are projected for the third quarter in New York and Los Angeles in a bid to make more of an impact in digital broadcasting than sparse local offerings have made so far.
CBS plans digital subchannels - Related Stories - NAB SmartBrief

n2rj

Staff member
NooooooooooooooooooooOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the things I like about CBS is that they devote the full 19Mbps for HD.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
NooooooooooooooooooooOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the things I like about CBS is that they devote the full 19Mbps for HD.
Filling empty boxcars! I need to check and see if I can see any difference in the HD between KKTV (subchannel + future mobile) and KCNC (CBS owned and operated).

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
My CBS channel is not an O/O and broadcasts a mutant mixed MEtv and ThisTV as "MyUtahTV. I doubt they'll put on the new channels. If they were to pick up the new channels, I would hope they DROP ThisTV so another channel could pick it up - I miss movies 24/7, and Oprah sucks.

Sports? No thanks. Maybe others would like it, but not for me.
It would be nice to see a news subchannel, though...

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Well, if they add a channel to KCNC, my "cable package" would be 25 maybe 26 English language channels. If I moved the "head end" to the roof I'd probably get 30+!

n2rj

Staff member
I really care more about quality than quantity.

On the one hand you have subs like Antenna TV, PBS kids, This TV, RTV. These are channels I would watch.

On the other hand you have Universal Sports, two versions of Live well (SD and HD) and simulcasts of other channels.

Not to mention that two stations in this market (WPIX and WABC) now look terrible because they bastardized the bitrate and loaded it down with subs. CBS at least cared about the quality. I would often watch things on CBS because it looked better than other channels. Oh well at least I have blu-ray when I want something watchable.

Not to mention Estrella TV is still on WPIX and taking away bandwidth when the owner has another station that is displaying nothing but a DVD player screen saver.

Last edited:

dave73

DTVUSA Member
CBS O&O stations would add the subchannels. CBS affiliates may or may not do so. I know CBS affiliates WSBT in South Bend Indiana & WDJT in Milwaukee Wisconsin not add any additional subchannels. WSBT plans to continue with their independent subchannel SBT2. WDJT doesn't have the bandwidth to do so, unless they move the subchannels to sister station WBME, which that station has all SD channels. WDJT already has This TV, WMLW-LD simulcast, & a real estate channel taking up bandwidth (the real estate channel goes down during high demand HD programming). I just hope it's something worth watching, & not the garbage that's found on Ion Life, Livewell Network (only like Advice For Life & Motion), Nonstop being added to NBC O&O stations, Universal Sports & any stations simulcasting the main channel or subchannel on subchannels. In Chicago, WLS-TV simulcasts Livewell Network on 7.3, WYCC simulcasts an SD 20.1 on 20.2, & WYIN simulcasts a second HD on 56.2 (main channel 56.1 is also HD) & a widescreen SD simulcast on 56.4. For me, the only subchannels worth watching are: Antenna TV on WGN-TV 9.2, WTTW Prime (24 hour primetime channel locally programmed) on WTTW 11.2, Create on WTTW 11.3, & from WCIU: MeTV for some programs (liked the old MeTV better), MeToo (now the local MeTV, but the old Drama MeToo was better), & The U Too (second showing of programs from WCIU in different time slots, plus shows that might not fit into the regular WCIU schedule).

dkreichen1968

Staff member
If CBS O&O run 16 Mbps on the main with 3+ Mbps on the sub they should be fine. I know that KKTV's main looks great even when they had a great looking sub. So, it is possible!

n2rj

Staff member
CBS O&O stations would add the subchannels. CBS affiliates may or may not do so. I know CBS affiliates WSBT in South Bend Indiana & WDJT in Milwaukee Wisconsin not add any additional subchannels. WSBT plans to continue with their independent subchannel SBT2. WDJT doesn't have the bandwidth to do so, unless they move the subchannels to sister station WBME, which that station has all SD channels. WDJT already has This TV, WMLW-LD simulcast, & a real estate channel taking up bandwidth (the real estate channel goes down during high demand HD programming). I just hope it's something worth watching, & not the garbage that's found on Ion Life, Livewell Network (only like Advice For Life & Motion), Nonstop being added to NBC O&O stations, Universal Sports & any stations simulcasting the main channel or subchannel on subchannels. In Chicago, WLS-TV simulcasts Livewell Network on 7.3, WYCC simulcasts an SD 20.1 on 20.2, & WYIN simulcasts a second HD on 56.2 (main channel 56.1 is also HD) & a widescreen SD simulcast on 56.4. For me, the only subchannels worth watching are: Antenna TV on WGN-TV 9.2, WTTW Prime (24 hour primetime channel locally programmed) on WTTW 11.2, Create on WTTW 11.3, & from WCIU: MeTV for some programs (liked the old MeTV better), MeToo (now the local MeTV, but the old Drama MeToo was better), & The U Too (second showing of programs from WCIU in different time slots, plus shows that might not fit into the regular WCIU schedule).
Well, the two CBS stations I can get are O&O, so I guess I'm SOL.

Also, the affiliates may be enticed (or pressured) into carrying subs by CBS.

n2rj

Staff member
If CBS O&O run 16 Mbps on the main with 3+ Mbps on the sub they should be fine. I know that KKTV's main looks great even when they had a great looking sub. So, it is possible!
Let's hope, but I am not holding my breath. Money talks. WPIX totally sold out, and now they have four subs including the main HD and their HD looks pretty awful. The subs look even worse.

Last edited:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
We get so little here compared to elsewhere, that I stick by my original post: I'm for anything that gets me more TV that I enjoy without costing me more money.

dave73

DTVUSA Member
Well, the two CBS stations I can get are O&O, so I guess I'm SOL.

Also, the affiliates may be enticed (or pressured) into carrying subs by CBS.
I sometimes pickup South Bend's WSBT, & I've seen that channel & their programming. SBT2 used to be the UPN affiliate, but when Weigel Broadcasting picked up CW & MNT (WCWW-LD for CW & WMYS-LD for MNT), WSBT decided to make SBT2 independent. SBT2 airs some shows not seen on any other channel, including the main channel. That even includes high school sports, Reno 911, & a few other shows. SBT2 also reairs first run syndicated shows that aired earlier in the day on the main channel, but in SD. They also have a 10pm newscast to compete with Fox affiliate WSJV, while the 11pm newscast competes with NBC affiliate WNDU, & the 11pm news is in HD on the main channel. For now, I don't see WSBT eliminating their subchannel.

I have not picked up WDJT from Milwaukee in Gary Indiana, but for now, I don't see Weigel Broadcasting moving their subchannels off of their CBS affiliate. I have picked up WWMT Kalamazoo, MI one time, & they have 1 subchannel, which carries the CW affiliate. I don't know if they'd drop CW for any subchannels created by CBS. CW was lucky enough to find a station willing to carry them in the Grand Rapids market after they rejected WXSP-CD for carrying CW, due to that station airing too many sportscasts, & that station would preempt CW programming too often. Now should CW go off the air (rumors keep circulating about that), then that will be moot, as that would allow WWMT to put something else on their subchannel.