Centronics ZAT 502 HD Terrestrial Digital ATSC Receiver TV Tuner[

anyone seen this yet
Centronics ZAT 502 HD Terrestrial Digital ATSC Receiver TV Tuner Supports HDMI Output True HD Signal Quality for HD Ready TV High Definition Television Home Antenna Signal Aerial Reception, Part # ZAT502HD: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office F

Centronics ZAT 502 HD Terrestrial Digital ATSC Receiver TV Tuner

Watch Free broadcast Off-The-Air HDTV programs on your digital ready big screen HDTV display or LCD HD monitor in true high definition. Watch ATSC digital TV on your regular TV. High performance, multi-standard video decoder (480i, 720p, 1080i). HDMI output provides the highest picture quality. Full movie quality sound through for connection to home theater system. This unit features an easy to use on-screen menu, parental control and remote control. :)

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Nice, an "HD" Converter box for less than $60. Can't use the dtv coupon with it though. :p I like the fact that it has an HDMI and Componenet output too, they obviously were doing their homework when they designed that model.

Dennis

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have one, and I like it. The digital out works well, and will decode 5.1 audio, although I prefer its PCM digital out and let my HTIB do the decoding. I use the S-Video out, but it also has component, composite, RF, and HDMI outputs. The remote has a 'learning' ability to replace your TV's remote, so will learn power, channel, and volume. It does have some weird issues, like occasionally the audio will get out of sync with the video when using the optical out, but that is reset by power off/on, and I occasionally see some artifacts (which I never saw on my CM7000, which has slightly better S-Video). It has a much better EPG than my CM7000 or Philco TB100, and the more I use it, the more I like it. It will display signal strengh AND signal quality, on a 1 to 100 scale. The firmware displays as "TEST 10 03 2008," so perhaps the final version will have be better yet!
Dennis

I have one, and I like it. The digital out works well, and will decode 5.1 audio, although I prefer its PCM digital out and let my HTIB do the decoding. I use the S-Video out, but it also has component, composite, RF, and HDMI outputs. The remote has a 'learning' ability to replace your TV's remote, so will learn power, channel, and volume. It does have some weird issues, like occasionally the audio will get out of sync with the video when using the optical out, but that is reset by power off/on, and I occasionally see some artifacts (which I never saw on my CM7000, which has slightly better S-Video). It has a much better EPG than my CM7000 or Philco TB100, and the more I use it, the more I like it. It will display signal strengh AND signal quality, on a 1 to 100 scale. The firmware displays as "TEST 10 03 2008," so perhaps the final version will have be better yet!
Dennis
Too bad this unit isn't capable of 1080p with the HDMI connection. Upgradeable firmware? I'm impressed. :) How often do the sync issues occur?

Dennis

DTVUSA Jr. Member
It does output "Native Mode" 480i, 720P and 1080i on both the HDMI and YpbPr outputs, and SD on the composite and S-Video (Y-C) outs. I've only noticed the audio sync issue when using its optical-digital output; so far no issues with analog audio (RCA jacks). I've only had the box 4 days, and have seen sync issues twice - both when aggressively surfing; no issues when sitting on one channel. Powering off/on fixed it.

My HTIB (sc-pt960) does recognize its AC-3 output (when using optical out) by turning 'on' it 5.1-surround LED, but to be honest, I can't hear the difference between using the optical (SPDIF) or analog audio outs - both sound outstanding. It's attached to a SD TV, and handles aspect-ratios as good as any other box I've used - better than some. While the box illustrates an "ANT-CONTROL" jack located next to the RF-out, my unit was not so equipped. Modulation modes are 8VSB, and QAM.
Dennis

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Dennis, if you don't mind me asking, where and how much did you pay?

I went to Circuit City, and asked about an HD capable CECB, and they looked at me as if I were crazy. "Sir, all of these units are capable!" Apparently, someone didn't inform them of the coupon approved units not being capable of "outputting" HD through Composite connections. Actually, I felt kind of bad, the whole store looked like a mess, and I guess it's only staying open until January 10th. Anybody know if Circuit City is going completely out of business?

Last edited:

Dennis

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Aron62,
The Centronics ZAT502, which I purchased from Solid Signal for $59, is not coupon eligible. Since this has both SPDIF and HDMI outputs, it's an upgrade from SD, and it also outputs HD, which the eligible boxes do not. The coupon's purpose is to offset some costs associated with users being forced to digital to continue their SD service, so any box that includes 'upgraded' features is not eligible. Since this box does it all, SD and HD (and does it well), it will never make the 'list.' I read somewhere that the CM7000 had the digital-audio out 'removed,' so as to be eligible.
Dennis

Dennis, if you don't mind me asking, where and how much did you pay?

I went to Circuit City, and asked about an HD capable CECB, and they looked at me as if I were crazy. "Sir, all of these units are capable!" Apparently, someone didn't inform them of the coupon approved units not being capable of "outputting" HD through Composite connections. Actually, I felt kind of bad, the whole store looked like a mess, and I guess it's only staying open until January 10th. Anybody know if Circuit City is going completely out of business?
circuit city is going under I don't know which stores will close but they are filing chapter 11

Thomas G

Contributor
It does output "Native Mode" 480i, 720P and 1080i on both the HDMI and YpbPr outputs, and SD on the composite and S-Video (Y-C) outs. I've only noticed the audio sync issue when using its optical-digital output; so far no issues with analog audio (RCA jacks). I've only had the box 4 days, and have seen sync issues twice - both when aggressively surfing; no issues when sitting on one channel. Powering off/on fixed it.

My HTIB (sc-pt960) does recognize its AC-3 output (when using optical out) by turning 'on' it 5.1-surround LED, but to be honest, I can't hear the difference between using the optical (SPDIF) or analog audio outs - both sound outstanding. It's attached to a SD TV, and handles aspect-ratios as good as any other box I've used - better than some. While the box illustrates an "ANT-CONTROL" jack located next to the RF-out, my unit was not so equipped. Modulation modes are 8VSB, and QAM.
Dennis
Ah, thanks for answering. Seems like a great great price for what you get.

Kash

DTVUSA Rookie
Clear QAM

Is this tuner a QAM tuner that will receive unencrypted HD channels from my cable service? I have an HD Monitor and need a HD receiver to work with my cable.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if it will work on your cable service, but on the box it lists "Modulation Modes" as "8VSB, 8VSB MP@MO, 64/256 QAM."

Denis
That's strange, according to this post...

Features;
1. 8VSB tuner (no QAM even though the chip has it built in),
I wonder if there's going to be some kind of firmware update in the future that will allow for use of the QAM chip. That would make the ZAT 502 a better option for a lot of buyers (including myself!).

Galvatron1

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Aron62,
The Centronics ZAT502, which I purchased from Solid Signal for $59, is not coupon eligible. Since this has both SPDIF and HDMI outputs, it's an upgrade from SD, and it also outputs HD, which the eligible boxes do not. The coupon's purpose is to offset some costs associated with users being forced to digital to continue their SD service, so any box that includes 'upgraded' features is not eligible. Since this box does it all, SD and HD (and does it well), it will never make the 'list.' I read somewhere that the CM7000 had the digital-audio out 'removed,' so as to be eligible.
Dennis
That's a phenomenol deal, $59??? I just checked solidsignal.com, they didn't have any:(

Galvatron1

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Sad part about it, just ordered 2 CM-7000's the night b4 I read about this post! Would have postponed my order w/ solid signal, until they got more in, & added it to my order! :mad:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Sad part about it, just ordered 2 CM-7000's the night b4 I read about this post! Would have postponed my order w/ solid signal, until they got more in, & added it to my order! :mad:
I've sent them an email requesting an ETA for stock. Google search on for the ZAT 502 netted 0 in stock results at other online retailers.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Received a response back from Solidsignal.com

Dear Jay,

Thank you for your inquiry. The latest inventory report, which was updated today, shows this rotator shipping to us on March 10th. We will have stock in our warehouse a few days after this. If you have further questions feel free to contact me directly using the email and phone number below.

Kindly,

Galvatron1

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Here's a OTA QAM/ATSC/NTSC receiver: HDTV TUNER BOX QAM/ATSC/NTSC FOR DIGITAL CABLES & OVER THE AIR

It's a bit more expensive.....
1. Does this also have 8VSB?

2. Will I be able to pull the most OTA channels, compared to anything else on the market?

3. Is this the best OTA HDTV Tuner on the market, or just superior to the Centurion that started this thread?

I'm wondering if I should get a video scaler w/ my CM-7000 or HDTV converter box. Seems like no other box on market out performs the CM-7000

Last edited: