Centronics ZAT 502 HD Terrestrial Digital ATSC Receiver TV Tuner[

1. Does this also have 8VSB?

2. Will I be able to pull the most OTA channels, compared to anything else on the market?

3. Is this the best OTA HDTV Tuner on the market, or just superior to the Centurion that started this thread?

I'm wondering if I should get a video scaler w/ my CM-7000 or HDTV converter box. Seems like no other box on market out performs the CM-7000
Think they're about the same, but at this point, I'm looking to atleast find a review or two on either one of these boxes. No luck so far.

freetv

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi,
my search for details on this converter box led me here.

Here's what I am trying to find out -
Is it possible to set the component output of this box to always output 480i ? i.e. all non-480i signals (480p,720p,1080i) will be downscaled to 480i. I am will be using this box with a 480i crt tv.

And also some details about the picture quality as compared to S-video on CM7000, and also the sensitivity of this tuner as compared to CM7000.

Thanks!

davidon

DTVUSA Rookie
Problems

I just picked one of these up but I'm having problems with the HDMI connection..it's saying no signal detected on the TV and it does not seem like you can select source (Supposed to do it automatically?). If I connect a coax cable it gets picture but only in 480. If I connect both cable and HDMI it still says output 480. Suggestions?

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
I occasionally see some artifacts (which I never saw on my CM7000, which has slightly better S-Video). It has a much better EPG than my CM7000 or Philco TB100, and the more I use it, the more I like it. It will display signal strengh AND signal quality, on a 1 to 100 scale. The firmware displays as "TEST 10 03 2008," so perhaps the final version will have be better yet!
Dennis
Hopefully they'll use the Microtune chip. The screw on the back between the RF connectors is a little bit odd, it seems like they are using a different internal connection system, which account for some of the artifacts.

Undue

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I just picked one of these up but I'm having problems with the HDMI connection..it's saying no signal detected on the TV and it does not seem like you can select source (Supposed to do it automatically?). If I connect a coax cable it gets picture but only in 480. If I connect both cable and HDMI it still says output 480. Suggestions?
Davidon, have you set your TVs input up yet? I had to do that on my Sony because I originally that the input turned off. Connecting both outputs out of the converter is not suggested (not that it will harm anything, but the converter will probably default to one single output, so disconnect that coax cable off the back end of it when trying the HDMI).

audio output when using hdmi to dvi?

I'm trying to connect my zat502 to my plasma screen using the hdmi output and connecting with a hdmi to dvi cable to the dvi input of my screen. This gives me video only. I've tried connecting the audio out from the zat502 to each of the audio in on the screen, but no sound. I assume that the problem is that with the hdmi connection I'm getting audio out from the hdmi, but the dvi doesn't receive the audio (and with the hdmi connected there is no audio being output from the audio connection of the zat). (both audio and video work fine, by the way, if I connect the zat to the screen using the component connections). Any suggestions on how I can get audio using the hdmi to dvi connection? thanks! sue

davidon

DTVUSA Rookie
Still problems

OK finally got around to try reconnecting using Y/Pb/Pr cable set up instead of HDMI and I still get the same thing. says video is 1080 and display output is 480..no other cables are connected. What am i doing wrong. have external antennae to ANT in on tuner, then 3 cable video on tuner to TV input.

davidon

DTVUSA Rookie
Different problem now. ...control has a HD/SD set button which allowed the selection of 1080 output however the picture quality does not LOOK like 1080 when compared to direcTV quality. What else could be going on? Still LOOKS like 480 as before only it says 1080 output