Channel cant be seen with DVDR dig. tuner but is fine on TVs dig. tuner...why?

boo99

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have my antenna in to the DVDR input and the output of the DVDR into the TV input and I recieve 15 dig. channels on the TV.

What would cause several channels not showing up after scanning by the DVDRs tuner?

I have an excellent signal on my TV for all the same channels that I want to watch and record on the DVDR however some will not show; only a grey screen after scanning by the DVDRs tuner.

Any ideas? Thnx.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: boo99,

Mr Pogi may be correct. My Channel Master CM-700 Converter box has a more sensitive tuner than my Sony Bravia. What are you using for an antenna? A different antenna that has more 'gain' may be all it takes for your DVDR to be able to capture the missing channels.

If you post your TV Fool report here, we can make suggestions for a different antenna. That website will automatically conceal your private information. Be sure to plug-in the highest (realistic) antenna height you can install an antenna above ground level.

Jim

boo99

DTVUSA Jr. Member
hi guys and thank you for the replies. I forgot to mention im in OKC VERY close to all the transmitters and the antenna is just an indoor one with like 95% signal strength AND...........it kinda just stopped working on the higher end of the tuner --- channel wise.

Like 43.1 to 62.1 etc.......If theres that strong a signal present, which there is, theres no reason why it wouldnt pull in these channels....it always did before until yesterday. However there is no change in the signal strength of the channels as its the same as it was on the TV.

I dont quite understand it. Can a tuner go bad in certain frequencies?

Fringe Reception

Staff member
boo99,

Currently, there are no 'real' digital channels above channel 51. Your TV may be reporting a different station as 62.1, or it is a lingering analog station or a repeater (unlikely, because of the dot-one suffix). I receive an analog 62 repeater here. Your TV Fool <--hotlink) report I mentioned above is what we need to work from to assist you. It is important to plug-in the antenna height above ground level, even when a viewer is using an indoor antenna.

There are a variety of possibilities including channel 62 having been retired, channel 43 may have changed its output power upward and it is now overloading your tuner and more. Let's see your TVFOOL report and we can probably help you get your stations back for you.

Jim

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Currently, there are no 'real' digital channels above channel 51.
That's not competely true Jim. There are still some low power TV stations operating in the 700 MHz band. Channel 57 Colorado Springs, KXTU, is still operating on RF57 in digital mode. (That is why digital converter boxes scan through channel 69) But, I'm sure that boo99 is refering to virtual and not real channels. But boo99, Jim may be right. The signal strength meter on many TVs and converter boxes measures quality, not stength, and a better antenna, or better antenna placement, may cure your problem. Posting the URL for your TVfool would help us to help you. http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
That's not competely true Jim. There are still some low power TV stations operating in the 700 MHz band. Channel 57 Colorado Springs, KXTU, is still operating on RF57 in digital mode. (That is why digital converter boxes scan through channel 69) But, I'm sure that boo99 is refering to virtual and not real channels. But boo99, Jim may be right. The signal strength meter on many TVs and converter boxes measures quality, not stength, and a better antenna, or better antenna placement, may cure your problem. Posting the URL for your TVfool would help us to help you. TV Fool

Thanks,
Dan
Dan,

Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't know there were any remaining digital stations currently transmitting above channel 51. Do you know how many or rather, how few?

Jim

SWHouston

Staff member
Jim,

Channels above RC51...
Very few, we only have two LP's in the Houston area still up there.
That's out of about 50+ main/70+ with subs).

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

Last edited:

boo99

DTVUSA Jr. Member
boo99,

Currently, there are no 'real' digital channels above channel 51. Your TV may be reporting a different station as 62.1, or it is a lingering analog station or a repeater (unlikely, because of the dot-one suffix). I receive an analog 62 repeater here. Your TV Fool <--hotlink) report I mentioned above is what we need to work from to assist you. It is important to plug-in the antenna height above ground level, even when a viewer is using an indoor antenna.

There are a variety of possibilities including channel 62 having been retired, channel 43 may have changed its output power upward and it is now overloading your tuner and more. Let's see your TVFOOL report and we can probably help you get your stations back for you.

Jim
hi
thnx for all the replies. Later today I will post the TV fool link you suggested.
I still don't understand why suddenly this stopped receiving on the DVDR but continues to work on the TV s tuner. If the TV can receive these strong
channels there's then so should this unit. I'm also going to try a Toshiba 460 as this has a dig. tuner.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
hi
thnx for all the replies. Later today I will post the TV fool link you suggested.
I still don't understand why suddenly this stopped receiving on the DVDR but continues to work on the TV s tuner. If the TV can receive these strong
channels there's then so should this unit. I'm also going to try a Toshiba 460 as this has a dig. tuner.
Do I understand you right that the DVDR was working, and then stopped working? What brand and model is the DVDR?

boo99

DTVUSA Jr. Member
H2160MW9 Magnavox.
no it didn't stop working. it just stopped receiving 2 channels that I frequently record from while my tvs LG tuner continues to receive these channels very strong in strength. no changes were made to connections and antenna wasn't moved. they just mysteriously stopped being seen and all is says is now scanning then nothing. no signal. all other channels work on the maggies tuner but these two wont anymore. they want me to put a TV fool report on here which I will do later however I don't see how this will help as I stated that if an LG tuner and my old insignia tuner gets these two channels flawlessly with high signal then the Maggie should. however I will still submit the report as Jim suggested. thnx

dkreichen1968

Staff member
So the Magnavox isn't a new purchase, and it did receive the channels at one time?

Are you using the parental locks?

You may want to do a double rescan where you rescan with the antenna unhooked so that it clears the memory, and then reconnect the antenna and rescan.

Last edited:

boo99

DTVUSA Jr. Member
No i have had it like 1.5 yrs.
Its receiving all channels fine except for these two that I watch and record from a lot. All of a sudden these two channels stop getting a signal and all other channels remained and were viewable.

No parental locks. I didnt touch anything anywheres on it, the antenna, connections. One day these channels started to say "Now scanning" then a blank screen and "no signal" while all the channels remained OK.

Ok I will try that double scan today and post the Tv fool thing.

boo99

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Here are the TV Results as requested:

TV Fool

As you can see, I have a great signal.

The channels (virtual) that ceased to work on the Maggy are:

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
boo,

You ought to be receiving nearly 30 channels (with subs) with the right setup.
I think you said you had an indoor Antenna, and I see that you're just over 25 miles from the Farm.
That's kinda pushing an Indoor a little, and anything could have happened.
Someone could have changed the parking place of a Truck, or put up a metal Sign somewhere,
which might change your reception, considering how low your antenna is placed.

You ought to consider getting a Rooftop Antenna and a new piece of coax.
I bet that'd take care of your problems completely.
Keep in mind, should you choose an outdoor Antenna,
that you'll need a 7-69 channel, thats Hi-Vhf thru UHF.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.