Channel Master adds $29 Cable Cord Cutter

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Looks like a nice antenna at a reasonable price for urban and near suburban, and will be fairly unobtrusive. Note that it isn't rated for VHF-lo, but not many markets have anything of value on channels 2-6. Although it appears to have a standard balun on it, so it may pass some strong low VHF channels.

I'd like to see some reviews on it.

I like what I see so far. Appears well designed. Realistic gain claims. I feel there is room in the market place for more simple compact antennas. Now I wish some one would come out with a reasonably priced mast mountable out door version of the RCA ANT111. On a similar thought I once built and tested a modified version of the dkreichen1968 avatar antenna. I used an 8.5" loop on the UHF side and a Winegard TVMAN UVSJ to combine it with the VHF folded dipole. The result was a significant improvement in UHF performance. The problem is not every one has a couple of Winegard TVMAN UVSJs in there junk box, and they don't appear to be built to hold up out in the weather. There are possibly suitable replacements for that part available.
Steve

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Steve, I think that an outdoor version of the RCA ANT111 (or Dan's antenna) could be designed and manufactured for about $10-$15 retail - and would fill a niche for a stealthy urban outdoor antenna. Could even include mounting hardware. It could be mounted outside on the window frame in apartments, on a balcony railing, etc. and a landlord wouldn't even notice.

Many people that try an indoor antenna in apartment buildings, etc, just give up when it doesn't work, not realizing that it is the building itself that is blocking their signals. Almost every one of the compact outdoor antennas available are UHF only, and making it worse, many are amplified. In urban areas, this often results in an overload of the tuner, or, since these antennas often have crappy amps, so much noise is introduced that the signal is degraded.