Question: Channel Master Antenna Rotator Control Unit

wolfcrane

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hi, I just got the Channel Master Antenna Rotator Control Unit hooked up, but I don't have a remote control. Is there any way i can operate it, without a remote? The person that gave it to me, didn't provide the remote control, or the manual. Channel Master doesn't have any in stock, and I can't find any other sources. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I believe you should be able to use a Logitech remote for this. They're kinda pricey, but I never met anyone that wasn't happy with it, and it combines all your remotes in one unit. I found this: RC: Logitech Harmony 1000 Remote Control Review (11) - look about halfway down the page.

Another option is one of the many used and replacement remote sellers on the net. Check Ebay, too, I recall a vendor or 2 for used remotes there. I found this CM remote, Buy CHANNEL MASTER 135546076 Remote Control , but I don't know if its the one you're looking for.

wolfcrane

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks. I had forgot to give info. on the control unit and the remote:
The Channel Master CM 4513130 is a replacement remote control for Channel Master CM 9537 rotator control unit.
• Replacement remote for 9521A and 9537
• This unit is included in 9521A and 9537
Channel Master Rotator Control Unit Replacement Remote Control

I have never used a control unit like this before: Channel Master CM 9537 | Rotator Control Unit , I also had to buy a power supply adapter for the unit, because it was missing. I was able to find a good deal on one from amazon.
Looks like I will need to buy more TV Antenna Rotator Wire, because it's not long enough to reach the living room TV. I was able to plug it in outside though.
I did see that it is Compatible With Most Universal Remote Controls (including satellite).
I wouldn't mind having a Logitech harmony remote. Would be nice to have one for everything: tv, vcr, dvd, digital tv converter, surround sound, and roku player, and the antenna rotator. I just wish the harmony wasn't so expensive. Thanks.

I have seen the 9521 remotes before on E-bay, but I just checked & don't see any at the moment. The buttoms on the control unit can be used to turn the antenna in either direction manually though.

Last edited:
You can buy rotor wire at Radio Shack. I didn't have much luck with the Channel Master brand & ended up replacing it in less than 6 months with RS wire.

I've seen the Harmony remotes on sale as low as $69.00 at Best Buy. Any remote that wiil operate the Channel Master 7000 digital to analog converter box should work as well. Both units use the same remote codes.

wolfcrane

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I've tried the buttons on the front of the unit, and can't figure out how to get it to work.
Wish we had more electronic supply stores here, just Radio Shack, and Walmart. I usually try to find good deals online.
I'm kind of flying blind here, as I have a very basic knowledge of how to get everything set up. I have to get my brother's help for the more physical stuff, as I'm disabled.

Last edited:
The button on the far right turns the antenna clockwise & the button next to it counterclockwise. The button on the far left is for re-synchronizing the motor with the control unit.

The first time any of the buttons are pushed turns the unit on if it is in sleep mode. You will have to press the button a 2nd time to actually turn the antenna if it was asleep.

The unit goes to sleep after 10 minutes of no activity. (No lights on the display indicates sleep mode).

wolfcrane

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I was able to get it working finally. The wires aren't color coded, so I thought I might try it differently, and it worked. Did a scan, and brought in about 6 or 7 channels. I am about 65 miles north of Tampa approx., I had hoped to bring in more. The signal meter was hitting 15. The numbers on the unit were between 40 & 45. I was able get channels 28.1 & 28.2, 32.1. & 32.2, 44.1. The other night I was able pull in quite a few channels.
Is there a site that I can refer to that has the local channel listings for OTA, and has the coordinates for pointing an antenna?

wolfcrane

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks. I wish there is something I can do to increase the reception without having to change out the antenna. It does have a Winegard PS1403 Power Injector / Inserter for Pre-amp 18 Volt, but I guess it isn't enough.

MrPogi

Staff member
Thanks. I noticed the channel guide that the converter uses is pretty bad.
Is it possible that the amplifier I have is not strong enough?
The amp might actually be a problem - it adds noise to the signal. Please go to TV Fool , copy the link generated and post it here and we'll take a look at it.

n2rj

Staff member
Try without the amp as MrPogi has suggested. However I don't think removing the amp will help. I think you really just need to get the antenna up higher. No substitute for height...

But we are really all just guessing here without the TV Fool report. Once you post it, it will be clear as day and we can help better.

wolfcrane

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I "think" the antenna is about 40 ft. high approx., when it was given to me, it was cut down a little with a sawzall. I also took a picture of the antenna, and put it as my profile picture. I am really surprised that I'm not getting WTSP 10, which has always been the strongest channel.
Here is the link generated: TV Fool
I do appreciate the help everyone.

A few things I can think of to help diagnose are:

You mentioned the antenna was "cut down a little". What exactly does that mean?

What model preamp are you using? Do you know if the FM trap is on? Do you have a computer or amplified speakers that are always on near the TV?

That antenna should easily receive channel 10, so I suspect some type of interference unless the antenna has been altered & the impedamce is now unbalanced.

wolfcrane

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Sorry, I should have elaborated on the "cut down". The tower was bolted down to concrete, so they just cut the legs off flush with the cement. We had to bury the legs about 2 feet deep in the ground, and then filled in the hole with quickcrete, then 4 blocks were put around the base of the tower, and another bag of quickcrete was poured in, we also bolted the tower to roof eaves of the house with brackets. Since we are in Florida, we wanted to make sure it was secure.
Anyway, I have a Winegard Pre-amp 18 Volt (PS-1403) with PS1403 Power Injector / Inserter. I'm not sure how to determine if the FM trap is on. There are a few things on, near the digital tv converter: wifi router, roku box, tv, dvd player, vcr, surround system is only on when watching dvd's.
I forgot to say that 3 rods were broken off the antenna mast, and I tried attaching them with electrical tape & some JB weld.

MrPogi

Staff member
Okay, you have a LOT of one and 2-edge signals. AND, you have a few high VHF. I know this sounds crazy, but try moving the antenna UP or DOWN and see if 10 comes back. I would suggest moving it around, but obviously that's not possible.Edge signals are tricky. How the heck do you get "edge" signals in Florida - it's flat as a pancake!

Also the broken rods could be affecting your reception. Maybe a new antenna is the only way out here.

wolfcrane

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I might wind up having to hire someone to come out and fix it. I'm disabled, and not able to do alot, and there's only so much my brother can do. I didn't want to have to spend alot on the system, as I can't afford it. I know I got what i pay for, as that I got everything free. Trying to find a good technician that has reasonable prices in my area will be a job itself.