Channel Master Masterpiece 5020/100

Billiam62

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Has anyone either tried or owned this antenna? Looking for an all band antenna to use at my house near Cincinnati. Want to use the VHF side for DXing and also FM reception.

I am wondering if the UHF gain that CM claims is accurate. If so, then it will receive the weak signals in Dayton quite probably without a pre amp. Currently use a MXU 47 with the RCA pre amp to pick up a couple of the Dayton stations on UHF. But would prefer an all channel antenna as outlined. Since Antennacraft is going out of business and I don't want a huge 15 foot antenna on the roof, I am thinking the CM Masterpiece 5020/100 might be the next best thing to a very large antenna. Had a Winegard 7084 a few years ago and while it is a decent all channel antenna, the UHF gain is definitely not as good as other large antennas.

While the gain claims of the CM 5020/100 are quite impressive. It will be difficult to find any real world comparisons of the performance of the antenna as the high price tag, and the 8 foot wide low VHF elements that are not needed in most areas have kept most people away from that antenna. With the growing dislike of current pay TV packages, the demise of the Antennacraft company, the need for VHF antennas in many locations, and low VHF in a few. The CM Masterpiece could gain in popularity as there are currently few other options available.
Steve

G

While the gain claims of the CM 5020/100 are quite impressive. It will be difficult to find any real world comparisons of the performance of the antenna as the high price tag, and the 8 foot wide low VHF elements that are not needed in most areas have kept most people away from that antenna. With the growing dislike of current pay TV packages, the demise of the Antennacraft company, the need for VHF antennas in many locations, and low VHF in a few. The CM Masterpiece could gain in popularity as there are currently few other options available.
Steve
Steve:

I am going to compare a MXU 59, Channel Master 3023 (older model UHF yagi similar to the old 4248) and Antennacraft Super G 1483 8 bay on the Dayton stations in the middle of June, weather permitting, to see if I can improve the signals of the weakest stations. If none of these works then I will have to shop for something else.

I hesitate to buy another Winegard 7084p because when I compared it to the HBU 55 it's UHF section was a little weaker than the HBU 55 and it could not pick up a weak Ch. 7 which both the HBU 55 and Y7-10-13 were able to. If worse comes to worse, I may have to try the Masterpiece and hope it works. Will have to find a place to buy from that offers a 30 day money back return policy.

In your post you speak of a weak channel 7. You have not posted a link to your TV fool report. I took the time to get a generic TV fool report for Covington KY which could be very different from a link to an actual report for your location. In some parts of the country as little as 200 feet can totally change a TV Fool report. Now a weak channel 7 could mean WHIO real channel 41 transmitted on a UHF channel, or WLJC transmitted on real channel 7 VHF virtual channel 65. When posting concerning antennas and frequency real channel numbers are the only ones that are of any use. Virtual channel numbers have no relationship to the frequency the signal is being transmitted on. Please post only real channel numbers, or if you must use virtual channel numbers included the call sign. Please post a TV Fool report for your location then we can follow along with the results of any antenna test result you post.
https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
From your post in this thread. Post #4
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...scussion/73053-u4000-vs-mxu59.html#post142164
Channels 2 and 7 would most likely be the UHF signals transmitted on channels 50 and 41, but we have no way of knowing that unless we do the home work on our end in order to figure out whats going on in your area.
I really do look forward to hearing more about the results of your antenna experiments.
The big complaint I've read about the Super G 1483 is the poor quality of materials it is built from. I know one of our members can comment more from personal experience.
Steve

Billiam62

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Steve. I should have mentioned the real Ch. 7 was at a previous home in another state. Not an issue now. Just want to DX on the VHF side at that location.

Multipath is a major problem. Buildings and trees all around.

TV Fool

Billiam62

DTVUSA Jr. Member
In your post you speak of a weak channel 7. You have not posted a link to your TV fool report. I took the time to get a generic TV fool report for Covington KY which could be very different from a link to an actual report for your location. In some parts of the country as little as 200 feet can totally change a TV Fool report. Now a weak channel 7 could mean WHIO real channel 41 transmitted on a UHF channel, or WLJC transmitted on real channel 7 VHF virtual channel 65. When posting concerning antennas and frequency real channel numbers are the only ones that are of any use. Virtual channel numbers have no relationship to the frequency the signal is being transmitted on. Please post only real channel numbers, or if you must use virtual channel numbers included the call sign. Please post a TV Fool report for your location then we can follow along with the results of any antenna test result you post.
https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
From your post in this thread. Post #4
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...scussion/73053-u4000-vs-mxu59.html#post142164
Channels 2 and 7 would most likely be the UHF signals transmitted on channels 50 and 41, but we have no way of knowing that unless we do the home work on our end in order to figure out whats going on in your area.
I really do look forward to hearing more about the results of your antenna experiments.
The big complaint I've read about the Super G 1483 is the poor quality of materials it is built from. I know one of our members can comment more from personal experience.
Steve
Weird. Just posted my report but the post didn't post below your most recent message. Check up above.

Billiam62

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I think my UHF antennas are adequate and it is simply a matter of using a rotor and adding some height to obtain the other full power channels in Dayton.