Channel Master's "Antenna Choice" Antenna Selector

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Aaron,

It suggests I could use a Channel Master CM3000HD omni-directional flat panel outdoor antenna ... and considering my compromised location, that's absolute nonsense. Their 'generator' claims using that antenna I will receive 20 channels and I currently receive those 20. My guess is that antenna would actually receive no more than 9 channels here.

However I receive a few MORE channels beyond the 20 they listed including: MeTV, The CoolTV, JoeTV, AntennaTV, MhzWorld, TVW and 1 more PBS channel, not including duplicate channels from the primary CBS transmitter and two of their translators. I think I'll stick with my current setup. :becky:

Jim

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
The links they give for looking up reception are pretty poor. The link to DTV.gov tells me I can get only channel 12 - a channel that is not currently broadcasting. It totally ignores translators and LP stations. Really bad, and this is a site operated by the FCC! Were someone to use only this site, they would conclude that using an antenna is not possible here, and give up.

I have used AntennaWeb before and it came back with the same results as DTV.gov - but it's gotten better. Not the best tool, but it does tell me "Up to 27 channels from 21 over-the-air stations may be received at this location." Wrong. I get 40, and if you count duplicates, the count is over 60. It also tells me channel 26 is ION TV (It's not!) - I can't get ION here because of co-channel interference.

Of course, the purpose of the page is to sell their brand of antenna. But we all know that the best resources areDTV USA Forum, TVfool, and RabbitEars.Info. There's just no substitute for the knowledge and real world experience that we provide here on the forum.

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
Aaron,

It suggests I could use a Channel Master CM3000HD omni-directional flat panel outdoor antenna ... and considering my compromised location, that's absolute nonsense.
I got the same results, no way do I need an Omni. Once I saw that, I didn't even look for a channel list. All they're trying to do is promote a new product line, which I don't blame them. They have good stuff usually, but I'd think twice about paying $50 for that (SMARTenna). That design is a takeoff of the RCA ANT series. That type has a very limited capability.

Of course, the purpose of the page is to sell their brand of antenna. But we all know that the best resources areDTV USA Forum, TVfool, and RabbitEars.Info. There's just no substitute for the knowledge and real world experience that we provide here on the forum.
Agree. I've seen an "antenna chooser" page before. Not sure if it was this one or something similar, but that color code system was around long before the transition. Geez, I wonder why it never caught on. :rolleyes:

Rick

dave73

DTVUSA Member
Their channel list for 2 antennas CM4228HD & CM4220HD only list WGN-TV & WYIN as the only full power channels I can receive, along with low power WHNW-LD. There's one problem with their site for WYIN's orientation. WYIN does not have its antenna in Chicago. I'm supposed to orient the antenna at 184º for WYIN. WHNW-LD at 27º isn't important, but I do pick it off the side of my current 8 bay antenna. Everything else is within 330º & 333º in Chicago that I already get (some LPTV stations need amplification to get in Gary, IN).