channel question includes hd and sdtv question

i dont recieve my local news channels and they are displayed in hd according to titantv.com and are airing. so do i need to put my converter box into widescreen to view them. i read online that hd presented shows need to be viewed with widescreen setting and cant be seen in fullscreen setting . is that true? is that what i need to do?

and if i have it set to widescreen will i be able to still get regular sdtv channels or do i need to reset to fullscreen again to get the fullscreen channels. i have the magnovox digital to analog converter box from walmart.
thanks

Last edited:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the board!

so do i need to put my convertor box into widescreen to view them
If the converter is set to 4:3 ratio (standard definition), you should still be receiving the local news channels. Normally, on digital converters, you have a few different choices on the aspect ratio...but ultimately...changing the aspect ratio for viewing will only affect the quality or size of the picture, not reception of channels.

I have a few questions for you when you get a chance...

1. Are you receiving other local channels fine over-the-air?

2. Are you using an antenna and if so, is it a plug-in powered type?

3. Which Magnavox converter do you own, is it the Magnavox TB-100MG9, or the Magnavox TB100MW9?

4. Also, I just wanted to confirm as well, are you using the converter box along with a satellite dish as well?

Sources: Aspect ratio (image) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FOX TV

Contributor
HD on SD display

i dont recieve my local news channels and they are displayed in hd according to titantv.com and are airing. so do i need to put my converter box into widescreen to view them. i read online that hd presented shows need to be viewed with widescreen setting and cant be seen in fullscreen setting . is that true? is that what i need to do?

and if i have it set to widescreen will i be able to still get regular sdtv channels or do i need to reset to fullscreen again to get the fullscreen channels. i have the magnovox digital to analog converter box from walmart.
thanks
Converter boxes CANNOT display HD content in widescreen mode. They normally display a "Center Cut" version of the video, which means that any content that is outside of the normal 4 X 3 screen area is not viewable or is cut away from view on SD only displays.

As said by Jay, if a channel has HD content, that in itself will not cause you to not be able to receive the signal, it only means that you will not see the full viewable video content, you will only see the "Center Cut" video. Hope this helps !!