Channels 6-21 missing in Los Angeles

Hey.

I recently bought an indoor UHF/VHF antenna (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T0B8O4/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1412201287&sr=1&keywords=antenna) and connected it to my Panasonic tv. I did an autoscan and found a lot of the channels I was expecting, but all channels between 6 and 21 (inclusive) were missing. Which is annoying because Fox (11-1) and ABC (7-1) are the two channels I wanted most. My TV Fool report (TV Fool) says that I should be getting a good signal from both Fox and ABC, but I'm not.

My TV is about a foot next to the window, but that window is west-facing, and the radio transmitters in my area are east facing. I've tried positioning my antenna in a variety of positions - on the window, off the window, eastward, northward - but am having no success. There is a fine-tuning knob on my antenna but I have no idea if it's applicable for me. The only problem I can think of is that my wifi router is about 12 feet away from the tv - might that be causing a problem?

Also, I know that the rabbit ear antenna, being directional, should be pointed toward the transmitter. What does "pointed toward" mean, though? Should the plane formed by the two ears be perpendicular or be parallel to the direction of the transmitter?

I know other people have asked similar questions, but their questions seemed to have been related to a transition that took place earlier, and the solutions presented for them don't seem applicable for my situation.

Thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate it!

This link might be of some help. It's a bit out dated. It's the one I had handy.
TV Rabbit Ear
About 15" per side perpendicular to the direction of the broadcast tower. The knob is some sort of switched impedance matching network it actually could be of some use, but for the most part will just add to a persons frustration and confusion when trying to adjust the antenna. The knob will need to be set correctly, but who knows what the correct setting is.
Steve

My TV is about a foot next to the window, but that window is west-facing, and the radio transmitters in my area are east facing. I've tried positioning my antenna in a variety of positions - on the window, off the window, eastward, northward - but am having no success.
What you must bear in mind is that NO ONE can guarantee ANY reception WHATSOEVER under those conditions. Indoor reception depends critically on the building materials in your walls and roof, unless you can get something in a window with line of sight to the transmitters.

Can you put the TV on a cart and wheel over to an east facing window? If you have good luck there, it's time to think about an outdoor antenna, or a long indoor cable.

Rick