Question: channels grey out and box resets

Jdzieds

DTVUSA Rookie
I am having a problem with a few channels on my Airlink101 DTV convereter box. When I first got the box all channels came in fine and I had no problems, but months later some channels, such as, ION, IONLife, Qubo, will grey out now and the box will turn off and back on then choose a different channel when it comes back on.

I live in Norfolk VA, and this started happening in the last few months. Is there a fix? I read about this problem, and I am confused that what did work originally doesn't now. It should still work if is just a reception problem...

Oh, sometimes IONLife will freeze and the infobar will not go away. The only way I can do anything with the box after this happens is to unplug it and plug it back in...thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited:
I am having a problem with a few channels on my Airlink101 DTV convereter box. When I first got the box all channels came in fine and I had no problems, but months later some channels, such as, ION, IONLife, Qubo, will grey out now and the box will turn off and back on then choose a different channel when it comes back on.

I live in Norfolk VA, and this started happening in the last few months. Is there a fix? I read about this problem, and I am confused that what did work originally doesn't now. It should still work if is just a reception problem...

Oh, sometimes IONLife will freeze and the infobar will not go away. The only way I can do anything with the box after this happens is to unplug it and plug it back in...thanks for any help you can give me.
Welcome Jdzieds!

Perhaps the broadcasters have changed something, or perhaps something changed at home.

I suspect that the channels that you are having problems with, come in weaker than the rest. (Let me know if that is correct or not.) If this is the case, check your antenna alignment and cables for cuts, corrosion, loose fittings, etc.

If the channels of issue are the strongest, then you may need to mis-align your antenna to reduce the signal a bit.

Likely, there is a problem with your signal. Some receivers will lock up when any channel loses lock (even if you are not watching). The re-boot solution also hints at a corrupted signal.

Let me know what you see.

Jdzieds

DTVUSA Rookie
ok, I will check the signal tomorrow. Three channels grey out and reboot now. I will check the signal and wires too. It isweird, the channel comes on just enough to see the picture, then greys out. A signal is coming in, but the box greys it out.

I will check everything tomorrow. Thanks.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
There's another thread about this. Some boxes seem to hate the ION signals for some reason. I've been unable to determine why.

- Trip

chico53

DTVUSA Rookie
Seems like signals could be the problem. Immediate grey out seems like an overpowered tuner. Is there an amp in the system? Check one of the on line pointing sites for distances to xtrs. antennapoint, antennaweb, tvfool.com etc.