Charter Communications

elvenrunelord

DTVUSA Jr. Member
This little cable provider is the only one available to me where I live and it sucks. They are at least $10 more expensive on every service than Roadrunner is and I hate these protected markets the cable companies have.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
...and I hate these protected markets the cable companies have.
And that's putting it nicely, I'd go so far as to call it monopoly or duopoly here in Arizona.

Not sure if you're talking about TV service or internet service...but with some of the recent upgrades in technology allowing consumers to purchase a wireless card (Such as 3G), and receiving decent download speeds...I think it's only a matter of time before Television programming and services will be sold over the internet at a lower cost.

Taki

DTVUSA Member
Yes and the cable companies are screaming bloody murder about it. They are starting to establish bandwidth limits to stop exactly that. They are using the excuse that it has to do with piracy or infrastructure limits and thats just bull. Ask them about all the dark fiber laying in the ground that has never even been turned on other than for testing and it has been in the ground since the 70's. There is enought bandwidth capacity in this country for everyone and I mean everyone to have a 100 megabit connection and still it would not even be 1/5th the way full.

They can talk that crap to people who never had family memebers who not only laid that fiber in the ground, but had top secret security clearances and worked in Bell Labs for thirty years.

dreamr802

DTVUSA Member
I believe my parents have Charter too...I think right where I'm from Charter is one of the only if not the only cable service available....I know my parents don't have a satelite but yeah, I know a lot of the times my mom isn't too happy with it but other times she likes it.

dreamr802

DTVUSA Member
I do have to admit that their internet provider is VERY good...whenever I'm home I never lose my connection whatsoever. It's the strongest internet provider we've ever had at our house.

Taki

DTVUSA Member
Yes, but they are not the fastest cable provider out there. People across the street from me with Road Runner are getting double the speed for a few dollars cheaper.

Charter took off 3 of our main in state channels that most people in this area watch. I called and asked why, as they gave us no notice, and they explained to see these stations we must upgrade to their digital converter box and install one on each tv. He said even if we get a digital tv , we still have to have the box to get the service after Feb. 17. The local news today said that the management was contacted and these stations they have removed will no longer be available , in any way from Charter, as they have removed them to make room for other digital program channels. The sales rep. lied to me . The news report said they are no longer allowed to carry local channels which are over 40 miles away, so they eliminated these and kept the other 3, that most people do not want.

Forgot to add they are going up $2.00 on our bill the first of the year, and the charge for each box we need (4) is $5.00 a month extra. Wow, it is going to be costly making this change. I hope to find out more about it and what is exactly necessary. I want to know the most economic route with quality of course.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Please, does not anyone have a response to my post? Our whole city and county are upset by what Charter has done to this area.
That's definitely cause to be concerned, but unfortunately, according to the FCC's DTV FAQ page, cable companies are allowed to move programming to their digital tier, removing channels from basic service.

This is direct from their page:
Can my cable system move programming to a digital tier that makes me subscribe to digital service?

Your cable system decides when and whether to carry programming on a digital tier, which may mean that you will need digital equipment. However, all of your local stations will continue to be available in analog format for as long as your cable system offers any analog service.

Will cable customers with analog TVs have to buy or rent a set-top box from their cable company? If so, how much will it cost?

First, it's important to know that the February 17, 2009 deadline for the digital television transition only applies to full-power broadcast stations. Cable companies are not required by the government to transition their systems to digital, and can continue to deliver channels to their customers in analog. Cable companies are actually required by FCC rules to continue offering local broadcast stations to their customers in analog as long as they offer any analog service. This requirement will continue for at least three years after February 17, 2009. The Commission will decide in 2011 whether the requirement should be continued beyond February 17, 2012. This means that customers who receive analog cable service (without a cable set-top box) will be able to continue to do so.

However, for business reasons (among other things, digital is much more efficient than analog), cable companies may be interested in transitioning their systems from analog delivery to digital delivery. If a cable company makes the business decision to go all-digital (meaning it will stop offering any channels to its customers in analog), it must ensure that its analog customers can continue to watch their local broadcast stations. This may require customers with analog televisions to get a set-top box. If the cable company provides the customer with a set-top box, any costs related to it will be determined by the cable company. Therefore, it is recommended that analog cable customers contact their cable company to ask if a set-top box will be needed, when it will be needed, and if there will be a cost.

It is also important to note that a cable set-top box is different from a digital-to-analog converter box. A digital-to-analog converter box is necessary only for analog televisions that receive their programming over-the-air using a rooftop antenna or "rabbit ears" connected to the set. A digital-to-analog converter box is not necessary for a TV connected to a paid television service such as a cable or satellite TV provider. Information on any set-top boxes needed for a paid service such as cable or satellite should be obtained from the service provider.

your reply

Thank you for the reply and your link. It was very informative but seems quite complicated as well. It does seem like the cable companies would try to leave stations to view for local channels rather than loose customers. Many in this area have already canceled their service with them as they didn't even send out notices to their customers they were taking off these 3 local channels. They also stated we can not get back these channels regardless if we obtain equipment from them. They have chosen to give us out of state channels for what they are giving us to view as local channels and have taken off all but one channel within our area.
I read they are considering taking it off as well. We are all more interested in getting broadcasting news and events within our state than states which are 2 or 3 states away from us. Our congressman and state senator are working with Washington to try and get these channels restored to our viewing area. It seems the only recourse is to hurt the companies profit and if they keep up these tactics, they may well do so. Charter has lost profit for all 2008 and their outlook for future operations is in question regarding a report in the Washington Post this week. It is too bad they have not allowed any competition in this area.

jack

DTVUSA Member
i am getting good speed in this connection.sometimes it get slow down.for cheaper price,we are getting this connection.so i think this is economical one.

tj10

DTVUSA Rookie
Charter Nightmares!

Yes, hopefully your area will get a new provider soon. My mother just built a new home on her property and Charter said that they would come out to drop cable when the trench was open (you know, the one trench for electricity, phone, cable, etc.) Mind you, she had given Charter an easement on her property a few years ago for numerous additional customers. When push came to shove, and with three days notice to Charter (they said they only needed 1), they refused to drop the line, required her contractor to pick up the line and install it, and then charged her a connection fee on an already existing account! They're terrible, disorganized, and not very community/communication friendly.

U

Unregistered

Do you work for Charter?

I do have to admit that their internet provider is VERY good...whenever I'm home I never lose my connection whatsoever. It's the strongest internet provider we've ever had at our house.
I have never seen that claim made by anyone other than a Charter employee. There are many thousands of us who get lousy service, frequent disconnects, high latency, packet loss is common and calls to support are futile. It never gets fixed - everyone on my node has problems and has for at least the 10 mos I have lived here.

If another provider were available I would pay double to get them!