Chase.com Down September 19th, 2012

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
If you're thinking about logging on to Chase's website chase.com, the site is currently offline. Chase's main banking site went down at approximately 9:18AM PDT this morning.

A slightly disturbing problem with today's outage is that there's no message informing customers of what's going on right now. As far as Chase performing maintenance on the website, this wasn't part of a planned or routine take down either.

News of the event seems limited right now, other than quite a few mentions on Twitter from frustrated customers. The outage appears to be nationwide as tweets have come in from California all the way to Pennsylvania.

I'll be posting updates here as I find more information.

Update 10:23:AM PDT: Chase's Twitter feed has not mentioned anything about the shut down. Their last update was a PR Newswire release over an hour ago. (Link to Chase Twitter Account)

Update 11:01AM PDT: Over an hour into the outtage, Chase's Twitter feed has posted the following message:

Chase Support ‏@ChaseSupport

Chase.com is experiencing intermittent issues. We're working to restore full connectivity & apologize for any inconvenience.

Update 11:15AM PDT:
Thanks to a commenter on here, the Chase Mobile app seems to be running and letting users log in, which I have confirmed. Picture attached:

View attachment 1971

Update 1:44PM PDT: Chase.com is back online. Their Twitter feed didn't mention anything about what happened, but at least their customers have access to their banking information.

Update 6:01PM PDT: Chase appears to be down again. We will be providing updates at this blog post.

Attachments

G

just called--they say it should be up in an hour (11:35a pacific time)

don't know if it was a lie but she said it was due to updates.....

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Unregistered;bt456 said:
just called--they say it should be up in an hour (11:35a pacific time)

don't know if it was a lie but she said it was due to updates.....
Thanks for coming back and posting this. I'm going to try and confirm as well on the phone.

G

I am a computer programmer, and barely a professional one at that, and I could write a program that sends messages out to every single Chase customer, employee, and affiliate, AUTOMATICALLY USE A FREE SERVICE the second the website was to go down. This is unacceptable. I will be switching banks now. I do not want to bank with a bank that cannot even manage a simple messaging service.

G

I call B.S. on it being "updates"

You do updates at 1 in the morning when people generally don't need your website. You don't perform updates at 11 in the morning.

If I had to guess it's a routing issue at their server farm.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Unregistered;bt460 said:
I am a computer programmer, and barely a professional one at that, and I could write a program that sends messages out to every single Chase customer, employee, and affiliate, AUTOMATICALLY USE A FREE SERVICE the second the website was to go down. This is unacceptable. I will be switching banks now. I do not want to bank with a bank that cannot even manage a simple messaging service.
I completely agree, but even if they don't want to email every single customer...the least they could do is put a message on their website that says, "Chase is down right now and will be back up in X hours."

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I get panicky if the website that gives me access to my money goes down without a message.

G

1PM CST and I still can't access Chase Bank website. I called and the rep knew nothing. Told me to close IE, clear my cache and try again. Clueless!

G

Strangely, this is the only posting I can find on the internet about chase being down. News agencies aren't reporting it, chase obviously hasn't informed their employees and they can't inform us since there's no website.

I like chase but this lack of communication is pretty bad even for a company of their size.

G

Unregistered;bt461 said:

You do updates at 1 in the morning when people generally don't need your website. You don't perform updates at 11 in the morning.

You are addressing very valid points, which make me even more nervous. Even during updates, the website does not have to go down for any reason whatsoever. This is very very nerve racking, I had not heard that that was the excuse. It's not a routing issue unless every single person on the planet only had access to the same router. If it was a routing problem, then only some people would have problems logging in. An entire website does not just GO DOWN like it has. There isn't even an error page! At bare minimum, there should be an error page. Which make me even more nervous, ugh! I am getting a timing out error. I believe something financially happened to the bank. Something unimaginable.

G

Unregistered;bt461 said:

You are absolutely right. My company gives the customer service reps a script to read to everyone that calls when are servers go down. They say "down due to system enhancements". Can't even respect your customers enough to be honest!

G

Yesterday B of A site was hacked by Islam group. Wonder if this is the same thing? I sure hope not!! I got as far as entering my password on Chase! Yikes!

G

I need to print my bank statement, online is working but I can't do that with my cell phone, I need to have online access. This is inconvienient because I need my bank statements to turn in with insurnace paperwork.