Chelsea Handler Leaving E! network?

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
Chelsea Handler's contract at E! is up later this year, and she's supposedly looking to make a career move. Will she shop around a show to other networks, leave for radio, or something else? And what will happen to her Chelsea Lately timeslot? Then again, maybe it's all an elaborate bid for a better contract, now that she's not sleeping with a network president anymore.

I hope Handler continues to work in TV somehow, but I'd actually welcome a move to a different network. E! is too stingy with the clips they post online, and full episodes are not available, so I don't get to watch her as often as I'd like. I think it'd be great if she partnered with an online service for a streaming exclusive show, since her brand of humor (and affinity for swearing, sex, alcohol, etc.) would be problematic with many traditional TV stations, but online would be a great fit. Perhaps a streaming/satellite radio simulcast? Hulu partnered with Larry King after his previous talk show ended, so there's a precedent for this type of move, and Chelsea's audience is probably more likely to follow her online.

I'd like to see a major or basic cable network take a chance on her. She would slot into the snarky, Jimmy Kimmel style of talk show well, but with better gags and more personality. I'm not one for tokenism - it's as unfair on the person who has to shoulder the burden of representation as it is the excluded group - but given how utterly male late-night talk shows are, I think a network president somewhere needs to fast-track her to shake up the genre for women. She's pretty fearless. I think she could carry off a coup that big!

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
I'd like to see a major or basic cable network take a chance on her. She would slot into the snarky, Jimmy Kimmel style of talk show well, but with better gags and more personality. I'm not one for tokenism - it's as unfair on the person who has to shoulder the burden of representation as it is the excluded group - but given how utterly male late-night talk shows are, I think a network president somewhere needs to fast-track her to shake up the genre for women. She's pretty fearless. I think she could carry off a coup that big!
Oh, I agree that I'd love to see more women, and especially Chelsea, on a major network for late night. I'm just afraid she'll let a word slip and get fined by the FCC / canned by the network. The censors would have to be on their toes. (Maybe if it's taped earlier in the day and not live, that could help, but I'd still be nervous that the network would hamper her style.)

Oh, I agree that I'd love to see more women, and especially Chelsea, on a major network for late night. I'm just afraid she'll let a word slip and get fined by the FCC / canned by the network. The censors would have to be on their toes. (Maybe if it's taped earlier in the day and not live, that could help, but I'd still be nervous that the network would hamper her style.)
True, maybe a major basic cable network like FX/FXX should pick her up instead. They have a lot of provocative comedians on there as standard so she wouldn't incur any censorship problems. I know that on TBS Conan O'Brien seems to have far more freedom and license for obscenity and taboos than on NBC, and the audience laps it up rather than complaining about it! I'd just like to have a mix of genders on late-night TV rather than it being an all-male club (and daytime being an all-female club!).