Cher Judges 'Dancing with the Stars' with Amber Riley, Bill Engvall and Others

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Guest judge Cher opened 'Dancing with the Stars' last night with a rousing number. Looking decades younger than her actual age, the full of energy singer had her songs featured throughout the night as the competing stars and their pros performed to them. Towards the end she also sang I Hope You Find It from her upcoming new CD. She sported her more eccentric look for that song.

A brief review of the highlights:

Corbin Bleu and pro dancer Karina Smirnoff began things with three nines from the judges in an exciting routine that was followed by Leah Remini and Tony Dovolani dancing to I've Got You Babe. I liked this one and found it charming, sweet, and wonderfully serene. Cher gave them a nine while Carrie Ann Inaba and Bruno Tonioli gave them eights.

Next up were Brant Daugherty with pro Peta Murgatroyd dancing to It's In His Kiss. All three judges gave them nines with Cher commenting they were "two smiles that went together." They did well even though they had a shortened rehearsal week due to Brant filming 'Pretty Little Liars.'

Elizabeth Berkley and Val Chmerkovskiy danced a jazz routine to Bang, Bang. It did not thrill me much, to be honest. Cher's comment of note was, "I like it when woman are strong." She gave them a nine along with the two eights from the regular judges.

Bill Engvall & Emma Slater were the next to perform, the pair strutting their stuff to Strong Enough. Bill has a lot of energy and enthusiasm without the awkwardness that past comics like Andy Dick have had in their dancing on the show. He is clearly the weakest of the celebrities, but there is something very watchable about him. Three eights were their judges' rewards.

Jack Osborne and Cheryl Burke, who mentioned she was actually named after Cher, then did their thing to The Beat Goes On. It had a lure to it and gave them three nines.

Before the final regular dance of the night, a question from a Facebook viewer was chosen to ask the singer. In response to asking what she would do if she could really turn back time, Cher responded with the eighties, elaborating, "I just had so much fun in the 80s I cannot tell you; maybe too much fun."

Appropriately enough, this question led to Amber Riley and Derek Hough dancing a rumba to Turn Back Time. Two nines and a ten from Bruno were their scores, along with the announcement that they were safe for the week and would not have to compete in the dance off that took place for the last 30 minutes or so of the episode.

The dance off offered bonus judges points that would be added to the night's scores, making it potentially a game changer to anyone who was in jeopardy of going home. Corbin and Karina faced off against Elizabeth and Val in the Cha Cha. "It's red and black like being in Vegas," Bruno praised when reviewing the two teams. All three judges selected Corbin as the winner so they got the three bonus points.

Then it was Brant and Peta versus Leah and Tony in the rumba. Bruno voted for Brant, but the other two picked Leah so she got the extra points.

Lastly, Bill and Emma danced disco against Jack and Cheryl. Jack won all three judges scores. However, it was Bill and Emma who received the best news because they were immediately told they were safe.

Ultimately, it was Brant and Peta who were sent home. Brant has said before that he knew he didn't have the fan base he needed to get a lot of votes. It was a shame really.

Cher as a judge was amusing. She really had no place doing it. However, DWTS is not the only dancing show to do such a thing. Its 'parent' show in the United Kingdom, Strictly Come Dancing, has also done similar things with its judges and review shows. For example, last November singer Alfie Boe was on its critique show, 'Strictly: It Takes Two.' When asked about whether a specific team could overcome the curse of a certain dance, he humorously replied, "What are you asking me for?" I got the sense Cher was asking the same question last night.

Head judge Len Goodman returns next week.