Chicago HDTV Reception

Bought a Terk HDTVa last year and it works well, but I'm having trouble picking up one of the closest station, WFLD which sometimes loses reception or looks like a bunch of pixels get mixed up.

TV Fool

Any advice?

the Terk HDTVa is an amplified antenna. You are only 2 miles away from a majority of stations. I'm suprised you aren't getting signal overload.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Bought a Terk HDTVa last year and it works well, but I'm having trouble picking up one of the closest station, WFLD which sometimes loses reception or looks like a bunch of pixels get mixed up.

TV Fool

Any advice?
You live so close you could just put a wire out of the antenna jack should pick up all the channels.

Take some thin wire like a telephone wire used to wire a house, not the modular cord. It is solid copper and thin enough to just push into the center of the antenna in jack. To big or fat of a wire will ruin the jack on the TV or converter box.

I know a guy that live 2 miles like you do from the towers in Orlando and he just has a piece of wire stuck in his antenna jack taped to the wall behind the TV that is couple feet long. It might not even need to be that long.

---------

Another way to do it is leave the connector on one end of a piece of coax that is short, maybe a few feet. plug in the end with the connector into the TV or converter box. On the other end strip off the outer conductor braid, just leaving the inside insulation and wire. Strip it back about 15 to 30 inches should make all the antenna you need.

It's also obvious it's overload. The strongest station is the one you are having trouble.

-------

One last really quick thing to try, is unplug the Terk from power. That may be enough to make things work.

Last edited:

O-O

DTVUSA Member
I know a guy that live 2 miles like you do from the towers in Orlando and he just has a piece of wire stuck in his antenna jack taped to the wall behind the TV that is couple feet long. It might not even need to be that long.
Antenna length is of importance? :pop2:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Not if the stations are close enough. I just did an experiment with a four inch piece of cable tie and was able to pick up every channel in Dayton, Ohio. There was a bit of pixilation on a few of the channels but at 7 miles from the towers that's to be expected.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Not if the stations are close enough. I just did an experiment with a four inch piece of cable tie and was able to pick up every channel in Dayton, Ohio. There was a bit of pixilation on a few of the channels but at 7 miles from the towers that's to be expected.
No length is not critcal as Tim says, not at that range. 2 miles to the towers! The guy in Bithlo, that lives the same distance from the Orlando towers I know just took about a 6 ft piece of telephone 24 g wire, and ran it up the wall and pushed it in the F connector with no ground.

So not only doesn't the length matter but you don't need a ground at that distance.

I will add that for low band nothing over 5 feet will help much

For High band band nothing over about 3 feet will help much

For UHF only, nothing over a foot is needed.

So since he has all three bands, I would make it 5 feet long.

Then if WFLD still overloads try shorter pieces of wire.