Child Stars

aclowers

DTVUSA Member
We have all seen children grow up on television shows. A few examples are Full House, Facts of Life, Growing Pains and Different Strokes. There are many others, of course. Many family oriented sit-coms have children on them in order to appeal to different age groups. I was just sitting here wondering about the percentile of child stars who ended up in trouble.

These children grow up before our very eyes. They start out as a role model for our children. Yet, as we watch them grow up, over the years they end up for the majority in drugs or other scandals. Not all of them, of course. But a good many. Do you have any thoughts on this subject?

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
I'm sure these kids are under a lot of stress. But, then again most kids are today. Child stars not only have to deal with the pressures of fame and the burden of how to spend all that money. They also have an amazing amount of lines to learn, pressure to always be at their best on stage, always having to work and home or studio school to complete. They also have peer pressure to deal with, parties and functions, etc. I'm not making excuses for them, of course. They are in the public eye and many are a role model for our children. They like our own children need to make wiser choices. It is a definite shame that so many have had drug or alcohol problems and trouble with the law.

christyanne

DTVUSA Member
I can't imagine what it would be like to have a ton of money and fame when you're a child. I think of Michael Jackson too as a child star who kind of "got full of himself" after so many years of stardom during his childhood, and look at how he turned out.

Taki

DTVUSA Member
And I worry about this huge crop of stars that Disney is promoting during this past decade. While I think some of these roles are interesting, I question whether a child should be in television as much as some of these are.

sanju123

DTVUSA Member
This does happen with the most of the child stars. This is tender age there are very rare chances that such stardom won't take the child astray. I have all these years taught my kids not to get impressed or complexed 'cause of these child stars.

MacGyver

DTVUSA Member
And I worry about this huge crop of stars that Disney is promoting during this past decade. While I think some of these roles are interesting, I question whether a child should be in television as much as some of these are.
I must say when High School Musical came out I was expecting to root for Ashley Tisdale, because she has such a sweet character on Suite Life. But, Gabrielle was so sweet and darling that we fell in love with her character too. I had no reservations about my kids watching this movie. But, then her first video came out, where she was advertising herself. I was in shock, to say the least.

Even as adults, we can sometimes get caught up in the characters these kids play and assume that is their own personality. After, that video she lost all respect in my eyes. I have been watching the kids very closely when a video comes on, to make sure it is appropriate.

Sad thing is, most child stars support their parents too, and their parents push them to continue their acting career's rather than letting them explore their own interests.