China Mobile TV phone popularity

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Just pondering something that I read a few days ago, about the reason why mobile dtv has gained popularity in China may be due to the fact that people can't aford regular size TVs there. Still curious how it's going to catch on here. What's going to be the "big sell" behind it.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Just pondering something that I read a few days ago, about the reason why mobile dtv has gained popularity in China may be due to the fact that people can't aford regular size TVs there. Still curious how it's going to catch on here. What's going to be the "big sell" behind it.
I think we're starting to see it catch on as we write. There is a huge market for it and the target for mobile TVs success looks to be less than 2 years away. It appears the Olympics played a major role in the introduction of Mobile DTV.
The Chinese government plans to subsidize the mobile digital TV service for the first year to whet Chinese users' enthusiasm for the technology.
Proponents say China is a natural market for mobile TV. Siano's Ironi predicts the technology will be as popular in China as it is in Japan, where 10% of the population, or 12 million people, regularly watch mobile TV. "As one of the tech initiatives the [Chinese] government is pushing related to the Olympics, the technology will certainly gain awareness," says Mike Wolf, a research director at ABI Research.
Wolf predicts the number of mobile TV subscribers worldwide will reach 462 million by 2012, up from a mere 23.8 million today. Asian markets, particularly China, will drive most of the growth as phone processors and screens improve and network access gets faster and cheaper, he says. "It's a greenfield opportunity," says Wolf
Tuning In Mobile TV--Chinese Style - Forbes.com

Thomas G

Contributor
One thing that concerns me is that why did the US have to have it's own standard again? Our mobile devices will not work with the DVB-H standard if you're a traveler.

Piggie

Super Moderator
One thing that concerns me is that why did the US have to have it's own standard again? Our mobile devices will not work with the DVB-H standard if you're a traveler.
yeap, ATTs world wide connection GSM that works in the states and europe won't work with TV. Then again unless you speak other languages you could only watch TV in the UK.

Either that or they invent chips so small more can fit on the head of a pin than angels. Then all protocols and standards even ones not yet invented can be programmed into the device, even if all you want to do is talk?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
yeap, ATTs world wide connection GSM that works in the states and europe won't work with TV. Then again unless you speak other languages you could only watch TV in the UK.

Either that or they invent chips so small more can fit on the head of a pin than angels. Then all protocols and standards even ones not yet invented can be programmed into the device, even if all you want to do is talk?
Never thought about that, lol, come to think of it you would need a different power supply / charger too because they're on a different voltage setup than us too.