Question: Christmas antenna

DirtyRat

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Christmas antenna mount

Edit: I've changed my plans to find a good antenna mount to move the antenna out of the attic and stick it on the roof. And BTW, post is titled 'Christmas' as momma dearest insists on getting me stuff for Christmas despite pleas otherwise. So I figure I'll give her a mount to go looking for. Thanks much.

Okay, so I've decided to finally get (more) serious about my DTV reception. My setup currently has my media room on the west side of my house, and roughly 50 feet or so of RG6 quad shield going along the attic to the east end of the house. There, it connects to a amplifier, and from there to a ClearStream2 Antenna's Direct antenna mounted on a truss, facing out the side of the house.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=cc49a86ae6cd37

This is my current TV fool report. The report doesn't appear to show 43.2 and 43.1, which is a new antenna built on a mountain roughly 15 miles to the E/NE. This antenna added a much needed HD CBS, and HD FOX, respectively. Otherwise I frequently watch 29.1/30.1(cloned signal) NBC, and would like to get ABC (3.1) more reliably. 29.1 is the only really stable signal I get. 43.2/.1 is relatively clear, but will often garble every other minute. Otherwise comes through clear.

I was hoping for advice/suggestions on either a new antenna, or a mast (outdoor house mounting option, preferably to the side of the house, as I suppose this will be easier to seal). Also any grounding equiptment etc. to properly move my antenna outside the attic, which sounds like is a frequent suggestion to those looking to better their reception.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DirtyRat

DirtyRat

DTVUSA Jr. Member
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...53-trying-get-major-networks-spotty-area.html

I'll sheepishly admit I haven't been a very good forum user. I check once every month or so. I've read briefly some of my post back in April up above again just now. (Uh, me grammer sucks...) But I'll admit I wasn't crazy about the idea of an outdoor antenna then, but over the months of climbing in that awful attic, and trying subtle tweaks, I just want a more solid setup. I'll check some of those antennas in the post mentioned above, I'm not crazy about a large antenna, unless you believe it is really worth the eyesore. (I live in an otherwise well to do neighborhood where people don't bat an eye at cable prices) I'm probably the only schmuck uneasy about shelling out 70 bucks/month for more channels than I would ever want to watch.

I saw a well reviewed RCA antenna on amazon. RCA ANT751R. I like its smallness, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it recommended here. Not a favorable route?

DirtyRat

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Dirty Rat,

The RCA antenna you are considering isn't likely to work much better (or perhaps even as well) as the CS-2 you currently own.

From my prior post: "I (also) suggest you try your CS-2 outside to see what you can receive before you spend money on different antennas".

I understand you are trying to keep your neighbors happy, but I suspect you will need a larger antenna. Your ABC 3.1 (real, 49) is probably being affected by multipath interference and moving your antenna outside may resolve it. When testing, try raising and lowering the CS-2 and try it in different locations on your roof.

I do not recommend compromising your roof by drilling a hole in it for the coaxial cable. You can make a wall entry to the existing cable in the attic and the way I did it for myself was using one of these, but there are plenty of other options, especially for only one cable.

Jim

DirtyRat

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yeah, having re-read the comments on my prior post I think I've changed my plan. I believe the plan of attack is for a good antenna mount, and I'll move the CS2 to the roof and go from there. It's actually much easier for me to climb up on the roof than it is to get in the attic anyhow, so tweaking aim will be easier. Then I'll decide if a new antenna is needed from there.

The CS2 isn't a terribly big antenna, and if I get respectable reception on the few channels i watch, then I'll be satisfied. I think I preferred the attic earlier as it was out of the elements and supposedly easier, but I'm just not tickled with the reception. I'll see if I can amend my OP to clarify.

So then, what I'd like is any links to a good sturdy mount that will attach to the side of the roofline. I think from previous post somebody showed a gable mount, any one as good as the next? If I can get a nice one from amazon that'd be lovely. Also any advice on grounding materials. There's a grounding sticky I'll reread soon.

Also, thanks Jim, that's the kinda info I'm after. The nitty gritty on how to make this happen. That looks like a good solution to getting the coax outside. The amp is currently 2 feet from the wall where I'll be attaching the antenna, so shooting a length of coax from that amp through the wall and up to the antenna should be a piece of cake.

DirtyRat

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
DirtyRat,

I like using wall brackets and many radio Shack stores carry them in two different sizes as well as 5' and 10' mast sections. Chainlink fence 'tubing' is a less expensive 'mast' option. The antenna shown here is an old-style Channel Master 4221 and it is mounted under the eves, but in your situation I think more height will give you better performance.

Telescopic masts can be mounted using wall brackets as seen below:

If you have a chimney, Radio Shack has strap-style antenna mounts available:

Chimney mount brackets should be placed as far apart from each other as possible, a minimum of three feet.

Jim

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
I take it you have a tile roof (unless Ive missed you say otherwise) from the fact you have previously had an antenna inside it. If so, it is possible to mount on it without penetrating the tiles themselves.