Civil Rights Group Cautions Congress to Protect FOTA

dkreichen1968

Staff member
From The Article:
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, representing over 200 groups, is circulating a letter on Capitol Hill asking legislators to be careful that incentive auction legislation does not impair viewer access to free, over-the-air TV, whose audience skews heavily minority.

Making some of the same arguments as the National Association of Broadcasters, the letter calls on Congress to preserve a viable over-the-air service.

"In our view, any legislation affecting household access to broadcast television must direct the Federal Communications Commission to make maximum efforts to preserve viewer access to over-the-air television and to consider the needs of communities that rely exclusively on over-the-air signals," the conference wrote, according to a copy of the letter. Broadcasters say that any spectrum auction legislation needs to preserve broadcasters' current coverage area and spectrum sufficient for them to offer innovative new services.

"Because of the importance of broadcast television to minority, low-income, and aging households, and individuals with disabilities, The Leadership Conference took a strong role in ensuring that our members' constituencies would continue to have access to free over-the-air television signals during the digital television transition. Free over-the-air television offers the nation's most vulnerable populations uninterrupted access to their key source of news and information and emergency warnings. People of color currently comprise 40 percent of broadcast-only homes, and the number of over-the-air households is increasing rather than decreasing," the groups said.
Read More: Leadership Conference Cautions Congress to Protect FOTA - 2011-08-02 16:10:21 | Broadcasting & Cable

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
From above:

"Because of the importance of broadcast television to minority, low-income, and aging households, and individuals with disabilities..."
--- or a combination of the above: I setup two households who have very low incomes do to physical disabilities.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
...Or due to lack of value for pay TV.

Lots of people WITH a decent income are foregoing pay TV and opting for an antenna and online access.

n2rj

Staff member
Latinos especially are going to be hit hard if we lose free wireless TV. Even English speaking viewers who like soccer and telenovelas will lose out. But a lot of Latino households are low income so they can't necessarily afford a $70/mo cable bill.

dave73

DTVUSA Member
My Grandma's cable bill is around $90 a month, because most of her local channels are in the digital tier. She's at the point that she can't afford to keep her cable TV service. So I don't know when my Uncle Ken will get her an outdoor antenna, since she already has a converter box. I only hope my uncle is smart about getting the correct antenna for her. He has never had an outdoor antenna at his house since he moved into it. My Grandma had one until her house was reshingled back in the 1990's, & the antenna was never put back on the roof, though it was still in good condition. For her, she must have an outdoor antenna, as her neighborhood has lots of trees, & the signals are weakened by the trees. So for her, rabbit ears won't work for most of her channels (especially VHF), as TV reception wasn't great around her house 30 years ago, due to the trees, She's had cable since 1986.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
dave73,

Get thee to grandma's house post-haste and put up an antenna for her! $90 a month is a lot of cash, is that JUST TV? I estimate she has "donated" about $15,000 to cable company executives since 1986. Ouch.

You will become her favorite grandson and she may just leave you everything in her will. :thumb:

Last edited:

dave73

DTVUSA Member
dave73,

Get thee to grandma's house post-haste and put up an antenna for her! $90 a month is a lot of cash, is that JUST TV? I estimate she has "donated" about $15,000 to cable company executives since 1986. Ouch.

You will become her favorite grandson and she may just leave you everything in her will. :thumb:
I wish my Grandma had something valueable, but she's not rich by a long shot. She had her house transferred into my Aunt Nancy's name years ago in order to protect it from creditors many years ago. That's about the only thing that might have any value, as it's around $60,000 (she paid $7500 in 1950, & is still the original occupant of the house). If I wanted to stay in the area, I'd buy the house & keep it in the family, but I'd like to relocate in the future.

Dave73,

May we ask what your grandmother's TVfool report looks like?
This is my Grandma's TV Fool chart. While it looks impressive, the TV Fool chart does not factor in all the trees in the neighborhood (many trees are over 100 years old, & parts of the area was once a big swamp). TV wasn't all that great reception wise in the analog days, & rabbit ears will not cut it in this neighborhood. The AVS forum people kept insisting that my Grandma can get by with rabbit ears, but I mentioned that they don't work in her neighborhood indoors. That's why I'm disclosing that any antenna must be outdoors in her neighborhood, due to the trees. Before I forget, she's not interested in getting out of market stations. It's just stations in the 330° & 332°, plus WYIN at 186° (Chicago market & 1 NW Indiana station). She has no use for WHNW-LD, which is now digital, but can be picked up off the side of a combo antenna (like it does with my combo antenna).