Clearstream C2-V Antenna and VHF reception

So I checked out my TVFool location and it showed that I should be able to pick up pretty much everything I need in my area (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox) along with a couple others. I've been trying to get the Clearstream C2-V model to work but I can't for the life of me get any VHF stations. I've tried this is in a few spots in the house, including in the 2nd story bedroom directed out of a north-facing window. I can get ABC(RF20) and Fox(RF19) no problem in almost any location in the house. CBS (RF8) and NBC (RF7) have so far been a no-go. I might give it a try from outside just to see if I'm able to get anything, but I was hoping to have something that I could keep inside.

Would a pre-amp possibly help in this situation?

I'm looking to the cut the cord so I'm somewhat new to this whole antenna business other than the research that I've been doing recently. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

TV Fool

My zip is 49002.

Thanks!

SWHouston

Staff member
The C2-V does UHF and VHF-hi, but not VHF-lo, which would eliminate the KGVK-PBS station.
The other VHF-hi stations are in various directions. You did try turning the Antenna ?

Both RF7 and RF8 appear to be pretty dead on north. I've tried different orientations in that north direction but nothing E, W, or S.

In general, is VHF harder to pick up? Or can the C2-V be somewhat spotty with VHF reception?

Thanks!

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
can the C2-V be somewhat spotty with VHF reception?
The VHF antenna on the Clearstream C2-V is nothing more than a set on rabbit ears in a horizontal position. Not a great antenna for capturing VHF but still, CBS (8) and NBC (7) have strong signals in your area so it's a bit surprising they're not coming in for you. If you can put the antenna outdoors, well it's always better to place an antenna outdoors and it may be a game changer. Add a preamp and should get even more channels.

So I checked out my TVFool location and it showed that I should be able to pick up pretty much everything I need in my area (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox) along with a couple others. I've been trying to get the Clearstream C2-V model to work but I can't for the life of me get any VHF stations. I've tried this is in a few spots in the house, including in the 2nd story bedroom directed out of a north-facing window. I can get ABC(RF20) and Fox(RF19) no problem in almost any location in the house. CBS (RF8) and NBC (RF7) have so far been a no-go. I might give it a try from outside just to see if I'm able to get anything, but I was hoping to have something that I could keep inside.
wileymiester, you don't mention if there are any obstacles outside your north facing window, such as a building or a tree. Local obstructions are NOT taken into account by the TVFool report, and they can affect VHF more than UHF. Another possibility is some electrical disturbance taking out that range of frequencies (RF 7, 8, and possibly 5). My old, inefficient air conditioner takes out RF46, which is normally rock solid on my TV. It puts faint lines on the screen for some other channels, but 46 is the only one that gets completely zapped.

Would a pre-amp possibly help in this situation?
Probably not. A pre-amp can help with very long cable runs and splits. It doesn't create a signal if it's not there to begin with.

Rick