cm3020 and antenna rotor

hipburwig

DTVUSA Jr. Member
hello all. new to this over the air antenna stuff so please excuse the dumb questions. I think of read so much stuff I'm dumber then when I started. I figured I dive in headfirst so I bought it Channel Master 3020. so now I'm looking for a rotor. I have a rotor off of a house but I don't know what it is, who makes it, or even if it works, or how to power up. Any ideas on what voltage these are to try and see if it spins? 12v-15v? i see most have 3 wires and this one has 4. any suggestions on a good reliable rotor and the contraption to make it turn. something reliable with a remote that maybe shows the direction of the antenna on the remote or tv. I'm going to try and add photo of what i have.

2013-01-25 11.29.02.jpg 2013-01-25 11.32.10.jpg 2013-01-25 11.32.48.jpg 2013-01-25 11.44.57.jpg

hipburwig

DTVUSA Jr. Member
well i dont think a rotor is a must but i figure if im gettn rid of cable i may as well get as many channels as i can. here is the tv fool report of where im at now

Attachments

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
well i dont think a rotor is a must but i figure if im gettn rid of cable i may as well get as many channels as i can. here is the tv fool report of where im at now. View attachment 2190
Please go back to TVfool and post for us the LINK IN BOLD at the top of your results, NOT the picture. That pic is way too small to read!

A rotor is not always the best solution, sometimes an array is better. Also, many times those "extra channels" from another city are just repeats of the same network programming - the only difference being different local news and commercials.

Last edited:

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
well i dont think a rotor is a must but i figure if im gettn rid of cable i may as well get as many channels as i can. here is the tv fool report of where im at now
A rotor isnt a free lunch, it will break eventually, and likely before the rest of the system, ideally it should also be maintained by the user. Really, they should only be used when you have major channels coming from different directions [and a second antennna isnt a viable option] or your available channels are low in number.
A rotor is not always the best solution, sometimes an array is better. Also, many times those "extra channels" from another city are just repeats of the same network programming - the only difference being different local news and commercials.
Indeed, at best you may get minor programming differences, but all affiliate channels do follow the the standard programming for their network to a reasonable extent (and far more often than not - in full)

I will also point out that there are quite a few American sets that cant manually tune, meaning you would have to do a full rescan after every direction change!

Last edited:

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
Your major channels are all strong and well clustered around magnetic Nth. If anything; you may need a lower gain antenna with a wider beamwidth. But you'll likely be fine anyway.

US Channel Lineup: :usa2:
WMYD- MyNetwork
WTVS- PBS, PBS Encore, PBS Create
WXYZ- ABC, Live Well, Bounce TV
WWJ- CBS
WJBK- Fox
WPXD- Ion, qubo, Ion Life, IONShop
WKBD- CW
WDWO- TCT, TCT Family/TCT Kids, La Fuente [TCT= Tri-State Christian Television]
W48AV- Retransmitter of WPXD
WADL- WADL [non affiliated], Antenna TV, The Word Network [guessing religious for the last one]
WHNE- Retro TV, Jewelry Television, America One, Tuff TV
WUDT- Daystar [religious]

If you want Canadian channels, theres also few around 114degs magnetic. (Ideally these should be received with a 2nd antenna rather than a rotor).

Canadian Lineup, eh: :canada:
CICO- TVOntario
CIII- Global
CHWI- CTV two
CBET [Pending]- CBC

Careful system design would be required to receive both CHWI and CBET.

Not bad for no rotors, eh? ;)

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
This can be a 1, 2, or 3 channel solution:

A wide beam UHF antenna such as a 4-bay pointed north at about 10 degrees (possibly without a reflector if you also want to get the channels to the south, too) and possibly a VHF-lo for channel 7 (FOX). Fox 7, however, is strong enough that you may not need a dedicated VHF antenna.

You could add a UHF/VHF combo antenna such as an AntennaCraft HBU22 pointed to 110 degrees for Canadian channels later.

Forum members may have other suggestions. Discuss amongst yourselves...

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Hipburwig,

I have used antenna rotors for 40 years and I don't know the manufacturer of your unit, but the first photo is quite telling because it shows a plastic gear. The last 'strong' light-duty antenna rotors were made in America by Alliance and they are still available here: Alliance and Genie antenna rotator and rotor control boxes

Not to say your rotor won't survive in your situation but I have lost count of plastic geared rotors that have failed, so this is an advisory.

Jim