Coat Hanger Antenna

I built one this weekend and it works great. Better then a store bought pair of amplified ears.

It is VERY VERY VERY directional though. If only I had an attic. This bad boy pulls in stuff WITHOUT an amplifier that my other antenna NEEDS an amplifier for. :mad:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
LOL. I made one on friday and I kid you not.
I made mine into a 6 bay since there was room on the piece of wood for two more bow ties.

Didn't work as good as the two 4 bays I bought online but it worked pretty well. I'm gonna cut it down to a 4 bay and gang another homemade 4 bay to it and see if it works better as an 8 bay. Not sure if a 6 bay is practical anyway since there's none on the market.

Did you get your plans off of Youtube too? I did.

I built one this weekend and it works great. Better then a store bought pair of amplified ears.

It is VERY VERY VERY directional though. If only I had an attic. This bad boy pulls in stuff WITHOUT an amplifier that my other antenna NEEDS an amplifier for. :mad:

LOL. I made one on friday and I kid you not.
I made mine into a 6 bay since there was room on the piece of wood for two more bow ties.

Didn't work as good as the two 4 bays I bought online but it worked pretty well. I'm gonna cut it down to a 4 bay and gang another homemade 4 bay to it and see if it works better as an 8 bay. Not sure if a 6 bay is practical anyway since there's none on the market.

Did you get your plans off of Youtube too? I did.
I think they're going to use that in a follow up movie to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.:p Not recommended for the young.

OMG hahaha, that's awesome you guys but geesh, you could get midevil on someone with that.

List the materials, is that a 2x4? :)

eh I just grabbed a piece of wood i had lying around in the yard pile. Some Metal clothes hangers. I had to shave off the paint on the clother hangers though. That was a real pain in the a**. Almost cut myself with the knife. If I had this guy up high in an attic or a crawl space with an amp I'd bet it'd do better then any junk ears. I followed the youtube video instructions. Each V has to be 3" apart, 2" down, 5 3/4" for each space between V's. If you build one I'd use it in the attic or indoors only. These things won't hold up to weather unless you used PVC piping instead of wood or something.

Locks in the UHF stations VERY good. I'm going to add a reflector to it with a piece of cardboard and Tin foil slapped on the back.

I have it hanging on my wall pointed towards that 7.3kW UHF station up north. (WZMY). 11.8 miles. Constand 44%

I can get fox, ABC, and CBS as well. Like I said, very directional.

Last edited:
by the way this is basically like a homemade DB4, UHF only. You could probably combine it with an a/b switch or something and pair it up with your VHF ant.

When i move to a new place I'll be testing it out alot more. I bought 25 feet of RG6 today might get an amplifier for it as well so how it works with an amp.

Looks like a giant centipede on my wall LOL!

by the way this is basically like a homemade DB4, UHF only. You could probably combine it with an a/b switch or something and pair it up with your VHF ant.
With connecting two antennas, they have to be positioned just right, otherwise the signal will be worse or the same.

Just make sure it isn't sitting on your nightstand next to your bed. ;) Imagine having it slide off the wall while you're sleeping!

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
You had to SHAVE the paint off? Couldn't you have used some Morton aircraft paint stripping compound?
A wire wheel does the job in seconds because you only have to clean the hangers to bare metal at the contact points. Other than that paint won't effect an antennas performance enough to be a factor.

Piggie

Super Moderator

When i move to a new place I'll be testing it out alot more. I bought 25 feet of RG6 today might get an amplifier for it as well so how it works with an amp.

Check this one out over at this Canadian forum, it's as easy to build at the 4 whisker with more gain.

But that 4 bay whisker you built is a solid stand by antenna, with a lot of gain! Nice work.

Here is the Gray - Hoverman design.

Digital Home - Canadian hobbyists create "Super TV Antenna"

s10r

DTVUSA Rookie
coat hanger antenna

i built my first coat hanger antenna last week end. i can't believe how well it works. i'm receiving sports channels that i didn't know were there. it cost almost nothing to build and is well worth the time.try it, you'll like it !

foxtrot3

DTVUSA Rookie
I made two of these coat hanger antennas a couple of years ago and they're both going strong to this day. They're both mounted outside so I have to take them down once a year and sand the rust off of them. Other than that they are trouble free. If you google coat hanger antenna you'll find the video. Mine looks exactly like the one pictured above.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Questions and Answers 0