Coaxial Cable Question / Advice needed

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Hi all,

Per a recommendation here on the DTVUSA Forum, I purchased a Paladin Sealtite coaxial cable fitting installation kit and aside from installing 'F' fittings for RF on RG-6 or RG-59, it can also install BNC and RCA connectors. Cool.

I want to eliminate the BIRDS NEST of wiring behind my audio components and as an example, the distance between the output from my cassette deck to the input on my amplifier could be done with a pair of 9" cables rather than the coiled 6 footers currently there. :horse:

My question to all: is there any reason to NOT use RG-6 or old but perfect RG-59 for the patchcords between my cassette deck, CD deck, etc. to my amplifier? If RF coax is not a good choice, what coax should I use and why? Thanks in advance,

Jim

Last edited:

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Hey Jim,

Beyond making certain the connectors are fitted correctly, I can't think of any. The principle is the same: hot/positive/red in the center and neutral/negative/white or black shield over a dielectric that surrounds the center conductor (err, at least, that's the way RCAs are supposed to be). Impedance matching is critical in OTA reception because of the microscopic voltages and currents involved. The electrical values in analog line audio are orders of magnitude beyond radio signals, of course, so cable impedance doesn't have nearly the same impact on sound quality.

What you propose will produce cables that are much stiffer than typical RCA cables, of course, an attribute disinterested consumers might find annoying or difficult to work with. But since you knew that already, I say, "go for it!" :thumb:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Ground Loops

Don, Thank you.

It just dawned on me there ought to be a THREAD here regarding (audio) ground loops! I read about that in the late 1960s and I have personally experienced it twice ... HUmmmm ... (literally).

Resolving it (here) had to do with changing cable lengths and moving the (electrical) grounding point. More black art, eh?

Next serious Q: can 'ground-loops' happen with RF? If so, how does it effect TV reception and how is it eliminated?

Jim

Edit: If yes ... how can we recognize it?

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
I worked with audio all my life and always stopped hum with proper grounding of equipment, not leaving a shield open unless I was in the field and had 5 minutes till I was live.

With the coax tool you have, using old RG59 with compression RCA. The audio will think the RG59 is Monster Cable. There is a little chance that the shield on cheap RG59 might be a cross talk problem if something nearby is very very noisy, but most likely that won't be the case.

In the studio, mostly we used twisted pairs for balanced audio, but often a piece of equipment would be unbalanced with more than often in the studio BNC for audio. None of the RG59 back in those days was very good that the owners would buy and we had no problems using it, and they were tied in huge bundles of dozens of cables, and normally any significant cross talk ended up being a bad connector connection to the cable.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Piggy,

Thank you. I have hundreds of feet of retired RG-59/U "Alpha Wire" AWM style 1354 (whatever that means) which is very flexible and easy to work with. I'm looking forward to making short patchcords for all of my components and getting rid of the above mentioned birds nest of wires.

Here's another question for all: my desktop computer radiates an annoying white noise/tone which can be heard all over my house on an AM transistor radio when tuned to a weak station or to no station. The (directional) ferrite bar antenna allows me to null the interference.

A future plan is to setup my turntable near my computer and transfer my LPs and 45 RPM records to the computer using a program called Roxio. I have already altered the turntable wiring from open wire to coax and RCA females. How likely is it, that I will have RFI being 'detected' by the stylus cartridge and if it happens, how can I eliminate it? Thanks in advance,

Jim

Last edited:

FOX TV

Contributor
Jim, If this helps...I have used RG/6, and RG/59 for coaxial digital audio between my amp and DVD player with great results, and have also used it for speaker leads, also with great results. The shielding properties of RG/6 are better than RG/59 due to the foil wrapping and the braided outer conductor inside the RG/6, as opposed to the braided shield only for RG/59. if extra shielding is the reason for this project, I would recommend RG/6 every time.

I have numerous lengths of RG/6 I got from work a few years ago, as we re-cabled all of our receive satellite dishes at the station a few years ago, and I ended up with the old cable. There was some that had water ingress due to someone not using waterproof connectors outside on the dishes. I cut 3 to 4 foot of of each cable on the end that was outside, and now use it for my antenna experimentation with no known issues.

Here is a description of the differences between the two cables, and the reasons for the differences on a forum that is using the very same software that Jay just upgraded this forum to.

http://www.ftatalk.com/hardware/181895-rg59-versus-rg6.html#post1096984

Last edited: