Question: ? combine 2 x UHF antennas to point in diff directions, rather than using rotator ?

Bruce A

DTVUSA Rookie
Good evening.

Rather than buy another cheap rotator, could I just use 2 good UHF antennas and mount them 20' apart pointing in 2 directions? (My locals are in only 2 basic directions - about 180 degrees from each other).

Thanks for your time.

Combining UHF signals from 2 different directions can be a problem. What happens is that 1/2 of the signal from each antenna goes down the wire to the TV but the other half is re-radiated out the other antenna. Then on top of that you will a have combiner loss, and possible multi path problems from the same signals hitting both antennas at slightly different times. If your signals are weak to begin with you essentially cut them in half.
While in some locations it can work. At 180 degrees you stand a better chance of having it work if the signals a strong enough from both directions then you would at other strange angles. Its better to run two separate cables to each TV and use an antenna switch there to select the antenna you need.
If you post a TV Fool report we could get a better idea of what might work at your location.
https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
Steve

If your considering a rotor, or a two antenna system I would favor a switched antenna system. Remote control antenna switches are not as widely available as they were, but can still be found.
https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/rotator_rotor.html
The idea of using a RF remote extender with that type of switch always comes to mind.
The use of two tuners is also an option. low cost HD tuners have become widely available.
Amazon.com: iView 3500STBII Multi-Function Digital Converter Box with Recording and Media Playback: Electronics
Amazon.com: Mediasonic HW-150PVR HomeWorx ATSC Digital TV Converter Box with Media Player and Recording PVR Function/HDMI Out (Black): Electronics
Yes you have to run two coax.
While we have not seen a TV fool report for your location at my location the answer was to home brew a bi-directional antenna based upon the best information available, and some trial, and error.

Steve