Question: Combining Two DB8 Antennas

R

Rodwalls

Hey All,
I am in the process of combining two DB8 antennas, using a backwards splitter. Having great luck picking up locales in Winston Salem, NC (around 85-100%) but no so much luck picking up out of town channels. The weird thing is that I seem to pick up these other channels from Charlotte, NC when one of the antennas is pointing in the opposite direction, getting signal from back of antenna, usually get about a 60% signal. I have both antennas on the same mast. and are using the same exact cables run to the splitter. Would it help to separate them? I have included my Tvfool location below. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Rod

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 9d901dcb4f

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Yes, as Pogi pointed out your TVfool link isn't working.

You do lose signal off of an antenna when it is connected to another antenna pointed in a differen't direction. The normal loss is about 4 dBs. One way to get around that is to run two cables and use an A-B switch at the TV. The other much more expensive solution is to buy custom band pass/block filters. ;) But, I can tell you more when you get us a working TVfool link.

dave73

DTVUSA Member
I pulled up an estimated TV Fool for the Winston-Salem, NC area, & this is what I spotted. If WCYB is important, then a DB8 won't pick up this station, as it's on RF 5. That is the only VHF-Lo station that's on the list, while there's about another 3 or 4 that are VHF-Hi, & might be possible to get with a DB8, though I always recommend an actual VHF antenna for VHF stations over using a DB4 or DB8 for VHF, just because the results vary, & don't always work for everyone. Unless we know which stations Rodwalls (guest) wants to get, then we can't fully help out. Regardless, there are a few VHF stations that a DB8 may not pickup (especially not WCYB being on RF 5, if important).

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I am in the process of combining two DB8 antennas
Just don't cross the streams. That would be bad.

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light...

Sorry, I couldn't resist the "Ghostbusters" reference.

Seriously, though, do post a good link to TVfool and we will help you out.