Comcast Advertising...Why Put Spanish Language Ads on English Language Channels?

Fardreamer

DTVUSA Member
Before I ask my question, I have to point out that I'm a Latino and speak fluent Spanish. I'm not a big fan of Lou Dobbs and I'm not anti-Hispanic at all.

That having been said, other than the financial benefit of selling ads to local advertisers, what does Comcast get out of putting Spanish language ads for local businesses on English language channels such as CNN and MSNBC? I find it somewhat annoying and if I, a Latino, feel thusly, I can only imagine hows angry non-Hispanics who ARE fans of Lou Dobbs feel.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
My guess is that the advertisers know lots of Spanish speakers are watching CNN and MSNBC in your area. If the advertisers didn't have at least a solid prospect of increasing sales by pitching products and services in Spanish, the cable system wouldn't be doing it.

News broadcasts have been a favorite of non-English-speaking immigrants since almost the dawn of commercial radio for the simple reason that listening to them is the easiest, fastest and cheapest way for adults to learn English. The typical television announcer isn't a very fast talker, has very little or no regional accent, tries to avoid using contractions and American English idioms, and reads from a script written for easy comprehension by middle schoolers -- kind of like, well, Lou Dobbs! News programs are structured in this way to be easily understood and digested. These qualities also make them pretty good English teachers.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
One interesting thing I've noted with FiOS is that their Spanish-language-specific service actually contains 35 English-language channels ("that Spanish-speaking people watch often"), so there is a clear understanding that there are Spanish-language folks watching English-language channels. Add to that the specificity of locale (since Comcast can insert a commercial that is only seen within a specific area) and that might explain what you've seen.

tj716

DTVUSA Member
Even on the English packages they have Spanish stations included so I think that they are just trying to vary their potential viewers catering to everyone in the way that they think will reach the most people.

Fardreamer

DTVUSA Member
My guess is that the advertisers know lots of Spanish speakers are watching CNN and MSNBC in your area. If the advertisers didn't have at least a solid prospect of increasing sales by pitching products and services in Spanish, the cable system wouldn't be doing it.

News broadcasts have been a favorite of non-English-speaking immigrants since almost the dawn of commercial radio for the simple reason that listening to them is the easiest, fastest and cheapest way for adults to learn English. The typical television announcer isn't a very fast talker, has very little or no regional accent, tries to avoid using contractions and American English idioms, and reads from a script written for easy comprehension by middle schoolers -- kind of like, well, Lou Dobbs! News programs are structured in this way to be easily understood and digested. These qualities also make them pretty good English teachers.
How right you are about the fact that news programming and news readers being a favorite of non-English speakers. Though I was born in the States, we moved back to South America after my dad died and, because we lived there from the time I was four until I was nine years old, I had to relearn English just like a newbie immigrant, and TV news shows was something my mom always insisted I watch.

Maybe my peevishness at the sudden introduction of Spanish-language ads is unfair and irrational, but it does give me some insight as to why some non-Spanish speakers might feel like we Hispanics are "taking over."