Question: Comcast Controller/Cable Problems

Pat Gatto

DTVUSA Jr. Member
All,

Happy New Years! I've run into some issues this past week and I'd appreciate any help offered. I own a Samsung UN46B8000 since Thanksgiving. It is connected to a Comcast Motorola cable box. All was well until this week. The problems/issues are:

1) This past week it's become difficult to change channels to 2 or 3 digit channels. This was not the case previously. The cable box isn't recognizing the second or third digit timely enough so it's a hassle to type in for changing channels.

2) Last night we heard static noises out of the remote so we thought it was short circuiting. I exchanged the controller at the local Comcast office this morning. The controller did not work until I programmed in the correct code. I was hoping it would also solve problem one above but it did not. It caused more issues. See 3, 4, and 5 below.

3) The picture now is not correct. Previously standard channels came on in a 4:3 ratio and HD channels came on in a 16:9 ratio. Now the standard channels come in a 16:9 ratio but the HD channels come in as "wide screen" look setting. I tried changing the cable to a 4:3 span ratio but the HD channels come in too large. There is information missing from both the left and right side.

4) We used to be able to have the volume set at 8 but now we need it set to 10 or 11.

5) Before the TV setting would show on the upper left (i.e. 1080i @ 60hz) when changing from a standard channel to an HD channel and vice versa but this is no longer happening.

6) Comcast is scheduled to come out tomorrow but there a couple of big game (football and hockey) that I will watch tonight so if someone can help me now I'd appreciate it.

PG

Last edited:

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
This past week it's become difficult to change channels to 2 or 3 digit channels. This was not the case previously. The cable box isn't recognizing the second or third digit timely enough so it's a hassle to type in for changing channels.
Happy New Year to you too!

Just taking a shot in the dark here, have you checked TV Guide lately to verify that Comcast hasn't moved those channels? If you look at the channel guide, does it still show programming on channel 2 and channel 3?

Have you done a hard reset of your box? It might be time to exchange your box too.

Pat Gatto

DTVUSA Jr. Member
All,

As one last attempt rather than try to describe these problems maybe someone can be kind enough to send me their comcast "user settings" and their HDTV settings. I don't know if matters that I own an LED Samsung. But I agree with CptlA that the cable box is bad.

PG