Comcast digital adapter are not free anymore?

U

Unregistered

I have two extra TV's in guest bedrooms that I've been using the digital adapter box with for over a year. I received a letter from Comcast last month that they would be charging me $1.99 each month for each box.

What are my options here? That's an extra $100 a year and I don't want to pay for it.

G

I thought converter boxes only worked with over-the-air TV? Not cable?

The $100 a year number is 2 DTAs (one for each guest bedroom) x $48 = $96.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I thought converter boxes only worked with over-the-air TV? Not cable?
You are correct. Converter boxes are only for viewing OTA digital on analog TV sets.

There are no consumer set-top boxes for cable that can be purchased.

n2rj

Staff member
I have two extra TV's in guest bedrooms that I've been using the digital adapter box with for over a year. I received a letter from Comcast last month that they would be charging me $1.99 each month for each box.

What are my options here? That's an extra $100 a year and I don't want to pay for it.

Are these TVs newer HDTVs or digital TVs with QAM tuners? Have you tried plugging in the cable directly to the TVs and running a channel scan? I don't think the very basic channels are encrypted. Local channels most certainly are not.

If your TVs are old analog TVs there are QAM capable converter boxes available such as the iView 3500STB. Before buying a box I would test out the cable connection connected directly to a digital TV to see if the local channels are encrypted. Also make sure the boxes you are buying are QAM capable.