Comcast DVR and HD Boxes for 2012

U

Unregistered

I have a Comcast tech scheduled to come over to my house this week and install cable and internet. I want to make sure I get the latest DVR and HD boxes, does anyone know what models are the newest with Comcast cable?

SWHouston

Staff member
I'm not sure that Comcast uses these "everywhere" but around here, they have the Scientific Atlanta and Cisco HD Box's. I don't have a DVR Unit from them, so I can't comment on that.

FeliciaCorrine

DTVUSA Jr. Member
"
I have a Comcast tech scheduled to come over to my house this week and install cable and internet. I want to make sure I get the latest DVR and HD boxes, does anyone know what models are the newest with Comcast cable?
Latest box is the X1. But you have to call or go to the local office to check if X1 is available in your area.

Wish you luck.
"

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I'm not sure that Comcast uses these "everywhere" but around here, they have the Scientific Atlanta and Cisco HD Box's. I don't have a DVR Unit from them, so I can't comment on that.
Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) and Motorola cable systems aren't compatible with each other. Therefore, if your providers system supports one technology there will only be one brand of STB in your area (with the exception that Samsung STBs appear to work on Cisco systems, and I believe that Motorola DCT700s will work on Cisco systems). Since Comcast grew largely through acquisition they don't use the same technology in all areas. (Verizon FiOS built out some Cisco areas, after starting out Motorola exclusive, because the Cisco system is supposedly more cost effective.) My experience is that most of Comcast's footprint uses Motorola boxes (south Texas being an exception).

Don't expect to be able to choose the "latest box." You will get a box that supports whatever level of service you signed up for. Most providers have large inventories of older boxes which they are going to keep using until they're dead. (Much of Comcasts inventory of STBs were manufactured before 2005.) If they didn't, cable bills would be even higher than they are now.