Comcast says Google TV is not compatible with their TV Everywhere service

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Comcast says Google TV is not compatible with their TV Everywhere service

Last week, Comcast’s Fancast.com (aka Xfinity.tv) service entered the Google TV arena when it became known that the website would allow GTV customers to access Hulu.com content, albeit in poor quality. Well, Hulu quickly put an end to that, and now Multichannel is reporting that Comcast has made an official statement regarding Google TV and the premium content available to Comcast customers on their TV Everywhere service.

Comcast’s TV Everywhere uses a proprietary media player from Move Networks, which is not compatible with Google TV. Google has given no indication they plan on supporting this media format, so Google TV users who are on Comcast will continue to be unable to watch this content on their devices.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Ouch, not a lot of positive news for Google TV lately. Then again, what's in it for Comcast to allow Google TV devices to be compatible with their cable service.

dave73

DTVUSA Member
I currently live in a Comcast area, & their service doesn't even stay on most of the time. Because of that, I won't get their service. Where I'd like to relocate to, Time Warner cable is the cable service, & not sure how compatible Google TV (or any internet TV service) will work with them. Too bad that both where I live now, & where I'd like to relocate are both AT&T areas. One has UVerse in most of the city, while it's available in one neighborhood, but not in my current neighborhood. Not sure how Google TV works with them either. The way I see it, cable companies (Comcast especially) want to make sure this service doesn't work, just to keep subscribers on their cable service. Mediacom in Starke County Indiana does not allow subscribers to get internet only. They must subscribe to cable in order to get internet as well. So most people in that county won't have the money to use Google TV and have cable TV as well.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Mediacom in Starke County Indiana does not allow subscribers to get internet only. They must subscribe to cable in order to get internet as well.
Something needs to be done about that. But there's always the usual "unpromoted" basic cable of about 20 channels.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Comcast 0
G Questions and Answers 0
J Internet TV 0