Comcast Throttling my Internet Speed?

TVTom51

DTVUSA Member
I just installed a new modem (Motorola SB6121) and I'm seeing download speeds of less than 4 mbps and uploads of .5 mbps. I have the "performance internet" package and I should be getting speeds close to double that. I've had a tech come out to test out my cabling and he said everything was fine. I just don't know what the problem could be.

I just installed a new modem (Motorola SB6121) and I'm seeing download speeds of less than 4 mbps and uploads of .5 mbps. I have the "performance internet" package and I should be getting speeds close to double that. I've had a tech come out to test out my cabling and he said everything was fine. I just don't know what the problem could be.
Are you trying to stream movies/TV? From what I've heard Comcast does everything they can to put up roadblocks for these things, which is easy to understand since they want to make money providing cable. Comcast is available in my area but instead of going to internet through them (they jack up their internet only price to within $15 of cable) I'll use my current DSL provider and just drop Dish Network. Read this about Comcast:

Cutting the cord-what internet service to use? (New Jersey) - AVS Forum

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
^ What he said AND call them back up and demand to see another qualified tech. They need to thoroughly test the outlet in the room you have the modem installed.

TVTom51

DTVUSA Member
Are you trying to stream movies/TV? From what I've heard Comcast does everything they can to put up roadblocks for these things, which is easy to understand since they want to make money providing cable. Comcast is available in my area but instead of going to internet through them (they jack up their internet only price to within $15 of cable) I'll use my current DSL provider and just drop Dish Network. Read this about Comcast:

Cutting the cord-what internet service to use? (New Jersey) - AVS Forum
Thanks for the advice. Talking to my wife about going a different route. First, we're going to have a tech come out this weekend again. We've been told it'll be 10:00AM-12:00PM before he arrives so there goes part of our Saturday waiting for him.