Comcast vs. NFL Network

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Whew, this is an ugly only because it seems unfair of Comcast...

The NFL Network claims that Comcast violated a commission rule by allowing it's owned sports channels (Versus and the Golf Channel) preferential treatment, while making it tougher for the N.F.L.’s channel to exist on the Comcast network at a more expensive price.

The two channels in question, Versus channel and Golf Channel, are offered on Comcast's more broad and available digital tier as opposed to the NFL channel which Comcast dropped from the broad digital tier to a more expensive sports package tier that costs between $5-$7 a month.

What do you guys think?

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/sports/football/12cable.html?ref=media

Taki

DTVUSA Member
Honestly I think Comcast did this for two reasons. The first one is because it is a popular draw and people are more likely to upgrade to a more expensive package if such a popular channel is in it. The second reason is because the NFL channel charges more than average for its network feed and Comcast may have had to put it there instead of putting it in the basic package and forcing people to pay more for a station they don't want.
In my opinion NFL should just deal with it.

Froix

DTVUSA Member
Heh! Of course Comcast gives its own channels preferential treatment. Still it's nice to know there's the FCC to control the whole monopoly game these companies are playing. What's needed here's a better competition for Comcast.

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
Honestly I think Comcast did this for two reasons. The first one is because it is a popular draw and people are more likely to upgrade to a more expensive package if such a popular channel is in it. The second reason is because the NFL channel charges more than average for its network feed and Comcast may have had to put it there instead of putting it in the basic package and forcing people to pay more for a station they don't want.
In my opinion NFL should just deal with it.
Of course, but I think the simple act in itself is grounds for investigation. Comcast is one of only two available cable companies in my area, and it doesn't seem quite fair that they've decided to switch it to the upgraded tier.

Any other company that isn't a monopoly or duopoly should absolutely be allowed to do something like this, but not in Comcast's case.

I am glad that the N.F.L.s are looking into what Comcast is doing by giving preferential treatment to their channels. But yeah, my boyfriend would be one of those people who would pay the extra $5-7 to get that specific channel, me on the other hand wouldn't.