Commercial Trivia: "What a Beer Drinker Drinks When He's Not Drinking Beer"

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
What's the name of the beer company that used this slogan in the 80's.

FYI, I searched on the net for it tonight and there wasn't a lot of information on this!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Aaron,

Oddly, the phrase you wrote above rings a bell with me. I have no clue who advertised that but it certainly wasn't recently.

For me, a Dr. Pepper, a Ginger Ale or just a tall glass of cold water works. Too bad no one in my area knows how to make a proper Green River Milk Shake any more. (yeah, that was a regional specialty) Sigh ...

Jim

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I thought I was the young guy here on the board but it looks like Trickster has me beat! It was O'doul's (non-alocholic beverage) old slogan.

Sheesh, Where is everybody? Vacation?

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Beer has an awful taste, not sure why anyone would want to drink it other than for it's intended after affects.
Yea, I don't drink it for the taste either.

Reminds me that when I was a kid in Jr. High School me and some of my friends would go to the convenience store before school started and we'd each buy a can of Near Beer (non-alcoholic) and drink it down before class. You know, it was cool to have the stench of beer on your breath while you were at school :). Well, one day the teacher smelled the beer breath of one of my buddy's and she marched him out of the class.

They came back a bit later and he didn't seem none the worse for wear but after class he said she took him to the teachers lounge restroom and made him wash his mouth out with soap and water!

Back in them days teachers could do that sort of thing and needless to say none of us ever drank Near Beer before school again.

Lesson learned. :)

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Near Beer?

Quite by chance (when I was in my early 20's) I happened to stop into my parent's home one evening after driving down Interstate-5 listening to the CHEK-6 TV News (on the FM Radio in my car). I walked in to my old home and saw my Dad on the floor in real trouble.

He had ruptured abdominal muscles during a project -- yeah, it was a hernia. I took him to the Hospital and they parked him there over the gap between Christmas and New Years. No Doctors were available that week. My guess is it was 1978 or 1979 during the Jimmy Carter 'Malaise-days'.

For the night of the New Years Eve of his stay, I took a "near-beer" to the nurses station and after being scrutinized, it was approved for me to give it to my Dad. Being a good sport, he (allegedly) loved it. NOT!

Jim

Last edited: