Comprehensive Anti Viris Comparative Tests

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
CNET says...

The good:
Windows Live OneCare provides antivirus, antispyware, and firewall protection; defragments hard drives; offers local backup and recovery.

The bad:
Windows Live OneCare relies too much on Windows components such as Internet Explorer and Windows Defender for its security; doesn't support Firefox or Opera browsers; doesn't offer online backup; many of the features are already available for free within Windows; overall, doesn't match the depth and breadth of unique security tools offered by Symantec Norton 360 or McAfee Total Protection.

The bottom line:
Windows Live OneCare doesn't provide as many unique features and often repackages tools already available for free within the Windows operating system. For $30 more, it's well worth investing in the solutions from McAfee or Symantec, and we give the final nod to Norton 360 which ensures the best protection and performance tools for your money.

continued...

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I install on most every PC and recommend Avast home edition to everyone I service PCs for. It has never failed any one I know. I have also never had a problem with virus or Trojans on my Linux PCs. I would discourage Norton's Symantec or McAfee. Symantec has gotten too large and uses up way to much space and McAfee has way to many holes.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
I have the worst time with antivirus software on my laptop. Of the three different kinds that I've tried, they either slowed down my lappy, slowed down download speeds, or caused programs to crash.

This is a serious question and I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to be a smarta-s about it, but is antivirus software really a must have?

I had to do a system restore earlier because my laptop (vista) kept hanging on me. I don't know what it was but it seems fine now that I restored back to an earlier time. I noticed my AVG did an update this morning, sometimes it makes the system finicky but I don't know what it was. Might have been the registry.

I'll admit, I leave it off alot because it blocks some websites as false positives for no reason.

EscapeVelocity

Yeah, Norton Symatec is the worst bloated resource hog around, and it gets into everything, and its a massive pain in the ARSE to uninstall....which can cause massive problems.

EscapeVelocity

But on my limited knowledge, I always recommend people even more clueless than me, to go for AVG Free or Avast. They are pretty effective, I have the fewest problems with them, they have good personal freeware, are easy to use for newbies, great interface(I think AVG wins here), and features.

Last edited:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I have the worst time with antivirus software on my laptop. Of the three different kinds that I've tried, they either slowed down my lappy, slowed down download speeds, or caused programs to crash.

This is a serious question and I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to be a smarta-s about it, but is antivirus software really a must have?
If you are running a MS product. It is absolutely necessary. Without an antivirus, a hobby hacker :)D) can take complete control of your PC. You could boot the PC down and in the middle of the night the PC is rebooted and controlled from a remote location. The PC can be search and cleaned of all your bank information or any other personal information stored on the PC. Once all of the useful information is removed from the PC, it would programed to delete all remaining programming, leaving the PC useless. I wouldn't connect to the web without antivirus. Take the following advice seriously. It will eliminate the the problem you have with your PC.

1- Remove all other antivirus from your PC
2- Download and install the free Avast Home Edition
3- When it asks you if you want to do a boot scan Accept it.
You'll be glad you did and you'll be good to go!
Download FREE antivirus software - avast! Home Edition

If you need help with getting any of this done, feel free to post back.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
1inxs, you seem really clued in on this topic. Does my DSL modem have a hardware firewall?

Are hardware firewalls good?

Thanks!
What make/model is it? Is it a single line to a single PC or a 4 port router? I firewall everything in the home network behind my router. It's recommended you use a combination of hardware and software firewall. Here's a free firewall security scan from Symantec.
Free Virus Scan - Free Antivirus Software | Norton Security Scan

It will let you know if your vulnerable.

EscapeVelocity

Oh, I forgot, Ive got a 4 port router with ethernet connections (not wireless) and 2 computers hooked up to the DSL modem from the router. I think that is where my hardware firewall is.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Oh, I forgot, Ive got a 4 port router with ethernet connections (not wireless) and 2 computers hooked up to the DSL modem from the router. I think that is where my hardware firewall is.
Yep, that is where the hardware firewall is. If you're running MS XP or similar, the software firewall is petty decent too.

EscapeVelocity

Yeah, I tried Comodo, but it was slowing down and gumming up the works. So I just go with teh hardware firewall and XP, now. Plus Antiviris, and also run Spybot, Adaware, or more recently SpywareBlaster and A-Squared (for trojans).

Aries

DTVUSA Member
I can recommend AdBlock Plus and NoScript as well in terms of Firefox addons for security on top of all that. Those two combined with my firewall and virus scanner, my computer has high walls and a moat of lava. :3

I'd disable AdBlock Plus on the sites you actually -go- to though, like DTV USA. XD

Piggie

Super Moderator
EV, are running your modem in bridge mode? A good way to tell if you have no idea, do you put your ISP user name and password in the modem or in the router?

=====

Another good hint for any one running a hardware firewall in the modem or router is to turn of UPnP if you don't need it. A nefarious program can get in your computer, say it needs a ports and needs it open for inbound triggered communications also. This is what most bot malware does. They count on most people have UPnP turned on in their router, as that is the default for most router firmware.

EscapeVelocity

None of what you said. I dont put my ISP or username in the modem or the router. Though I may have when I first connected them. (I think the modem maybe).

And I have no idea where to even look for UPnP, so wouldnt have a clue how to turn it off. In fact I dont know what UPnP stands for much less is.