Computer Printer Folks -- Help me please

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Someone help me, help me, help me pleeeeeeeaseeee. Lol

Anyway, I'm getting a new printer, courtesy of HP, but I'm not sure which one to pick. I have just 3 choices really. Here's the comparison page:

Here

Editing here to add a few more I found. I don't really know the difference between Photosmart and OfficeJet but these are also in the price range.

Here #2

I actually have the photosmart d110 now. The one in comparison says d110a so I guess that's the latest upgrade to that one.

Which do you think is the best one? I'm not sure which is newest. I would have thought a, then b, then c, etc ... but I don't think so. I also kinda think I have the wrong router for it, but a G-series is what I have. I'm thinking I need an 'N' but I don't know anything about these things. I'm happy to use the USB plug in. (can't afford a new router anyway).

One buggy thing is that I actually have a couple of cartridges for the d110 but if I go with the other two, I guess those HP60 b/w and hp93 color cartridges won't work because they aren't listed for them.

The reviews all scare me. I don't know what to do here.

Need opinions fairly quickly -- thanks.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Orry,
Research the price of replacement cartridges for each printer. That will be your biggest expense, and companies almost give you printers because they know you'll have to pay for the ink for the life of the printer.

One thing I would HAVE to have is a printer with individual ink cartridges. Stay away from printers that use the "tri-color" carts.
If you have individual ink tanks, you can use them all till they run out. With a tri-color, you are throwing away ink and money when just one color runs out. (And since I refill my carts, individual tanks are easier to refill)

Also remember that the ink tanks they give you with a new printer are usually half full - they will run out quickly. If you can, replace them with "XL" tanks when they run out.

HP and Canon make decent printers. Never, ever, buy a Lexmark.

Last edited:

Orrymain

Thanks, Pogi, but had to get one back when I posted this. Good advice for the future, though. I do love my new printer, however. It proved how defective the first one was.

tvcraze

DTVUSA Member
Thanks, Pogi, but had to get one back when I posted this. Good advice for the future, though. I do love my new printer, however. It proved how defective the first one was.
May I ask what model of printer did you purchase? I got an HP D2660 and I was only able to use it for a week. Then the printing went from bad to terrible terrible terrible.

Orrymain

I got the same thing, the D110, and it proves to me that the first one was defective. This is a night and day difference from the first one I had. It's faster and reliable. It's still going strong, no problems, thankfully.

SWHouston

Staff member
I have an HP-6500. Individual color and jumbo cartridges.
Plug it in, turned on, sleeps and comes on, on it's own, and besides pushing paper in, haven't even touched it. It even understands computer re-boots, and keeps on ticking.
LOVE it !

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
I moved from ink jet to laser printers just I print more texts than pictures or illustrations so just once time per year change the toner

Before had three canon printers, was very good printing pictures but later I realized that just print 10 % of pictures and used more the black ink so was smart the move to a laser printer.

Best regards
Francisco

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk

tvcraze

DTVUSA Member
I got the same thing, the D110, and it proves to me that the first one was defective. This is a night and day difference from the first one I had. It's faster and reliable. It's still going strong, no problems, thankfully.
Thanks Orrymain. Maybe I should try that. I took my D2660 back and they replaced it but the replacement is also not working properly. They replaced it again with another one but it's the same thing. I guess it's the batch or the model that's the problem. So I'm gonna buy a new one after Christmas. :)

Orrymain

Mine is just awesome (the replacement) but that first one was very frustrating. I didn't get anything more powerful because I don't need it. I don't print a lot of photos or anything so this one is good for my needs.

n2rj

Staff member
I've given up on inkjets.

The jets clog, the ink smears and they are slow as molasses. Not to mention most can't act as shared printers without being attached to a computer.

I have a Lexmark 22ppm networked laser that works great.

Orrymain

I always wanted a laser printer but traditionally they have been priced out of my range. I loved them when I was working. However, changing the toner was also super expensive and often a pain in the butt.

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
the cost of replace a toner versus two cartridges of ink is about the same, is not economy an inkjet printer , but the advantage is that the toner have a long lasting life to me just a toner per year.