Concert DVDs

Ricardo

DTVUSA Member
Does anyone else collect concert DVDs?

My favourites are the Freddie Mercury tribute concert, the Toronto Rocks SARS relief concert with The Stones, AC/DC, Rush and The Guess Who (among others) and Elton John's 60th birthday DVD.

I have a couple classical ones too. I'm looking forward to checking these all out in 5.1 audio when we take that step.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I borrow them from Netflix, but it seems the ones I want most are on the "wait" list. I've found some rare gems there, though, including the 1969 movie "MORE" that Pink Floyd did the soundtrack for. The soundtrack is WAY better than the movie, BTW!

phoenyxstarr

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I've had a couple concert DVDs. I wish I still had them, there are days that I just want to watch Good Charlotte or Linkin Park. I can't believe my sister swiped them & sold them on eBay... Gah! I can't find the Good Charlotte one anywhere either.

My husband wants to get some Alice Cooper concerts & some KISS concerts on DVD.

Ricardo

DTVUSA Member
My friend has a good collection, including the KISS concert with the symphony in makeup as well. I have three Yes DVDs that span over 30 years.

Speaking of Alice Cooper, it's been years since I've seen Welcome To My Nightmare.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I ushered an Alice Cooper show in the 80's and got not only some of the best seats in the house in return (in an old music hall with great sound), But we also got to watch the stage get set up and sound check. Amazing how all the road cases opened up and formed the stage and props. Great show. I also saw Hot Tuna there - same deal with ushering, and met the band. I love me some Hot Tuna! Jorma is a much under-rated guitarist.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
We bought the most recent Manheim Steamroller concert DVD after seeing them around Christmas, last year. It is identical to the show we saw and we rate it excellent. :thumb:

Ricardo

DTVUSA Member
One of my favourites is a Chicago/Earth, Wind and Fire concert from the Greek Theatre. They do some songs together, which is fun to watch.

MrPogi, that's a cool experience seeing Alice. I got to meet Domenic Troiano in the intermission when he was playing at a high school dance in the 70s. For those unfamiliar with the name, the late Mr. Troiano played in the 70s band Bush, The James Gang, The Guess Who and Donald Fagen says he was one of the first players called when Steely Dan was being formed, but Dom was busy with other things. As for video of him, there are some clips on YouTube, my favourite being a couple songs with The Guess Who on Don Kirshner's rock concert. He was an incredibly nice guy, letting myself and another kid feel the action on his custom made guitar.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I have just a couple, but not many. I never have been a concert collector for some reason. I think I have one of Streisand's. I'm just not sure.

phoenyxstarr

DTVUSA Jr. Member
MrPogi, I think my husband would be jealous!!! He loves Alice Cooper, so much so that he just downloaded some of his songs to his iPod & he had a boa named after him.

dave73

DTVUSA Member
I have collected a concert video here & there. I only get one if I think it's something I want to watch. One I got is from an American artist, who has not had success in her home country, because the recording labels in North America claim she's not marketable here, & that's singer Anastacia. I got her only live DVD, called Live At Last, & it's in region free PAL format. I've only been able to watch it on my computer, since it can handle NTSC & PAL formats. If I knew someone who could convert it to NTSC, I would have it done. I have 2 concert DVD's from Pink (another artist who's more popular in Europe than in North America, but at least she's been able to get marketed here, whereas Anastacia has a singing voice like Taylor Dayne, & that seems to turn off recording labels here). Both of Pink's concert DVD's were recorded in England, while I believe Anastacia's concert DVD was recorded in various parts of Europe. I also have 1 concert DVD from Cher, from one of her many farewell tours (let's face it, unless her health prevents her from working, she's not giving up her acting & musical career). While this isn't an official concert DVD, I do have the Madonna Truth or Dare documentary (In Bed With Madonna outside of North America), where the color portions were from various concerts she performed worldwide. I've always wanted to see a true concert video of Madonna. I don't know if she has plans to ever make one. I'll have to look to see if there's a DVD version of one of Gloria Estefan's one concert from 1993 (I forgot what it was called). She did a concert live for either HBO or Showtime, & I was lucky to record it live on VHS (I know it was live, because I had the closed captioning on, & it couldn't keep up with the concert, while the reairing concert footage was edited, & the captions were redone to keep up with the concert).

James

DTVUSA Member
MrPogi, I think my husband would be jealous!!! He loves Alice Cooper, so much so that he just downloaded some of his songs to his iPod & he had a boa named after him.
I think that one is one of my favorites due to the history of that show. I think in the directors cut Scorsese said the cameras were burning out due to the lengthy show. Toward the end they only had a couple of cameras working.

I have a hard time getting into the 70's music. I listened so much I got burned out...haha. I really like the Indie bands that are creating music as well as some heavy music. I don't listen to radio. Spotify is good for seeing what is new. I'm either shooting the shows or working the sound or lights. If I can't be a part of it I get antsy.

It hit me how old some of my early music was when I started playing KC and The Sunshine Band after a concert. The people were like "That is crazy music! What the heck is it?" I knew it was way old but I wanted to see how people responded. Funny.

Flickr: Jim Layton's Photostream

One of my jobs.

Last edited:

James

DTVUSA Member
Oh no..Today is my birthday. 52. Old man. I remember the first concert was David Cassidy as a solo act. Nothing but girls in the hall. All I heard was screaming. I was little and some older girls, for some reason, took me along. They drove me there and back in a VW bug. Wow. I have not thought back that far in years.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
oh my goodness -- a David Cassidy concert. Never went to one of those; was never a fan. He's had a time of it, just a tad better than Bonaduce.