Confused about OTA DTV reception.

jbondi

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hi, just joined this forum in hopes I can find answers to my OTA DTV problems. I first got into OTA DTV when I bought a Channel Master converter box. Noticed that some OTA DTV channels had weak signals, but didn't worry about it since I thought that these channels aren't up to speed yet with DTV. Just bought a new SONY LCD tv with a built in ATSC tuner and noticed that it intermittantly drops the signal. I have since re-aimed my antenna, which is in the attic, to ensure the highest signal strength. The Sony still drops the signal. I have a Radio Shack VHF/UHF/FM antenna in the attic and I'm using a Channel Master signal booster to boost the signal throughout the house. The signal booster is connected right to the antenna. The channel that I see the most signal loss is ABC. The signal strength is in the high 90's. I was thinking about adding or replacing the UHF section of my antenna with a Channel Master multidirectional UHF antenna hoping that I could get a better signal. I don't see much signal loss on the TV with the Channel Master converter. Does cable length have a factor in this? If so, the Channel Master converter is on the second floor which is closer to the antenna. The Sony TV is in the den which is further from the antenna.

My other problem is with my CBS channel. The Channel Master converter picks up the CBS OTA DTV channels on 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3. My Sony TV used to pick up the same CBS channels until recently. Now the Sony TV picks up the CBS OTA DTV channels on 67.3, 67.4 and 67.5, I think. Any ideas why the Sony is different? :confused:

Joe

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Joe, and welcome...

Does cable length have a factor in this?
Yes, you will definitely lose DB the longer your coax (cable) run is. Approximately how many ft do you have from the TV to antenna, and are there any splices or splitters between the run?

I was thinking about adding or replacing the UHF section of my antenna with a Channel Master multidirectional UHF antenna hoping that I could get a better signal.
The multidirectional will be a huge help for UHF, but one of the bigger factors that might be causing bad reception, is the deflection caused by locating the antenna in your attic. The radioshack antenna that you have is also optimized for the VHF frequency? I wonder if you're actually not receiving some of the VHF channels as well?

Just bought a new SONY LCD tv with a built in ATSC tuner and noticed that it intermittantly drops the signal.
We've seen some reviews at the forum (See: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-reception/830-comparison-dtv-converters-reception-ability.html) about some of the digital tuners within converter boxes not performing well with DTV Reception as opposed to competing converter boxes located within the same house - location. The same holds true with DTVs and HDTVs, and I've witnessed this myself with my Mitsubishi 40" LCD HDTV versus my DTVPal Plus converter box. The DTVPal seems to receive all channels in my area with the same type of antenna, as opposed to my Mitsubishi TV which requires movement of the antenna at times to get rid of pixelation. I can't imagine that your Sony TV would have an inferior DTV tuner, but, if I get some time this evening, I'll look around the net. What model number is it?

jbondi

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for the reply, Jay. The cable run from the antenna to the Sony is about 20-30 feet with a splitter at the antenna and a splitter at the Sony. I am using a Channel Master pre-amp located at the antenna to boost the signal and never had a problem with it since I installed it.

You're probable right about my RS antenna, although I've always been able to receive VHF channels in the past.

If I add a newer multidirectional UHF antenna with more gain to overcome the signal loss in the attic, I would have to disconnect my existing UHF antenna. With the old UHF antenna disconnected, would it still interfere with the UHF reception of the newer UHF antenna?

Joe

I forgot to add the model number of my Sony; it's KDL-52W4100.
OK what type of amplifier do you use is it a pre amp that is located on the antenna if so a model number would help 30 ft of cable is no big deal. what you could be experiencing is tuner overload. if you have stations that are close to you and very strong they can overload the tuner. go to tvfool.com put in your address and then email me the post trans results I can then make a recommendation for a solution. digital signals are very susceptible to noise and some amplifiers have high noise levels and can kill you tuners ability to lock the signal.:)

jbondi

DTVUSA Jr. Member
My pre-amp is a Channel Master 0264C and is mounted at the antenna. I have attached my radar map to this post. I hope it's not too small for you to read. If so, send me your email address and I can send you a bigger file. Thanks.

Attachments

your amp has a lot of noise I suggest that you try one of the following
winegard AP8700 Chromstar 2000 Series VHF/UHF Pre Amplifier
Channel Master CM 7777 Titan2 VHF/UHF Preamplifier with Power Supply
both can be had at solidsignal.com:) once I see wither you have mainly UHF or VHf digital channels I can make a suggest on the antenna if there is a better solution. RS antennas are not renoun for great reception, also being in the attic cuts it's performance by 50%

Last edited:

jbondi

DTVUSA Jr. Member
What makes you say that my pre-amp has a lot of noise? Did you happen to get the specs on it? I tried Googling that pre-amp and couldn't find much on it. I'll look into those pre-amps you mentioned. Also, you said that you would make an antenna recommendation once you see if the majority of my dtv stations are VHF or UHF. I will need an antenna that supports FM as well since I have a few stereo tuners that are using my existing RS antenna. Thanks.