Question: confused as to the right antenna ... more i research; more confusing it is

Im new to the forum... and am completely confused as to what antenna to get.

i was looking at a 8 bay from channel master or anntenna's direct... but then i read this which completely derailed me....

CM4228HD Nist Harness

Temporary page

essentially condensed down the links say that i might be better off buying 2 4 bay channel masters and combining them or maybe just buy a 4 bay?..

i dont know.. im willing to buy the 2 4 bays; but wonder if anyone else has thoughts. :icon_beat:

edit:

here is tvfool report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e1c6cb99a3eaec

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I would say you probably don'r need an 8 bay, a 4 bay will do. BUT - WKRC 12 CBS is VHF hi, you will probably need an antenna that gets VHF hi. Some 4 bay antennas can do VHF hi, but a lot of the newer ones have baluns that block VHF.

Offhand I would recommend an Antennacraft HBU22 or a Stellar Labs 30-2440 - Stellar Labs VHF/UHF HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Antenna | 30-2440 (302440) | Stellar Labs

The prices are about the same. The Stellar Labs is available online at MCM or Amazon, the Antennacraft is available from Radio Shack, Solid Signal, or Amazon.

essentially condensed down the links say that i might be better off buying 2 4 bay channel masters and combining them or maybe just buy a 4 bay
I've been saying for a long time, the only reason to get a 4228HD is for the high VHF, and there are cheaper alternatives for that. I'm less clear on the DB8e.

Looking over your Fool report, it looks like the only shot at NBC is at 8 degrees, so I think you need everything from 330* to 8*. So I think you need more beam width, which means a little less gain. 8 bays would be too narrowly focused. The Stellar Labs tri-boom also has a pretty narrow beam. I like the HBU22 idea, and I'd aim it directly north on the first shot. (The transmitters at 330 are much stronger than those at 8.) Playing with the exact direction should get you everything you need.

I'm assuming now that you're planning an outdoor installation. (You've got 30 feet height in your report.)

Rick