Confused...

dkreichen1968

Staff member
What kind of antenna (brand and model) do you have, and which direction is it pointed? There are a bazillion channels to the north west of you (L.A.) that should all be easily receivable. You need an antenna that is built for both VHF-Hi and UHF signals though.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I hope you didn't pay $130 for that... There are many better and less expensive antennas that should work in your area.

I'd think this one would work much better: Stellar Labs VHF/UHF HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Antenna | 30-2440 (302440) | Stellar Labs

First things first I'd get an RCA ANT112 from Walmart for $10 and use it to establish if TVfool is accurate. If it is, you should be able to pick up a bunch of channels on that. Make sure to check all of your connections and cables for shorts and continuity.

Last edited:
We just installed a new HD antenna and received , 2,4,&5 right away, and adjusted a bit and got 7. But no matter what we try, we do not find 9, 11, or 13! From Moreno valley CA, for local stations in LA area. 52 mile signal distance with "good signal" rating! Help help help!

Here are our results from tvfool.

TV Fool
Tune in channel seven, adjust the antenna for the most stable picture and do a rescan.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Tune in channel seven, adjust the antenna for the most stable picture and do a rescan.
The OP's problem is that the antenna he has doesn't get VHF channels very well. His channels 2, 4, and 5 are actually UHF channels. Channels 7, 9, 11, and 13 are actual VHF-hi channels.

MrPogi

Staff member
Choose a quality splitter. ChannelMaster is a good name, or you can use one from Radio Shack - if your local store is still open!

When you install your new antenna, try with NO splitter installed to just one TV before adding a splitter.

too10six

DTVUSA Jr. Member
MUCH better!

Thank you for the recommendation! We recently installed our new antenna. It definitely works better than the other one. We are able to pick up all the channels we want with the exception of KCAL (channel 9). Maybe I'm missing something, but it appears to be similar to many of the other channels that we are receiving without issue. (It is roughly 52.5 miles away at 295 degrees). I'm wondering if there is a simple explanation for this, or if there is anything else we should try. Don't get me wrong. We are very excited to get all these channels without the monthly cost involved with cable (we are saving $135/month). It just seems, logically (to me anyways) that we should be able to pick this channel up.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
It may be a matter of antenna location... Try moving the antenna up and down, or side to side. Or, it may be some other unknown factor. As "Fringe Reception" often says digital television reception often requires a bit of voodoo and/or pixie dust.

MrPogi

Staff member
It may be a matter of antenna location... Try moving the antenna up and down, or side to side. Or, it may be some other unknown factor. As "Fringe Reception" often says digital television reception often requires a bit of voodoo and/or pixie dust.
I agree. Try playing with the location a bit, if you can. A few feet can make a difference.