Confusion about converter box needs

monger1

DTVUSA Rookie
Here is my set up in my RV that I will try explain. Regular over-air roof mounted ant. Booster/switch station for 2 tv's and vcr. DVD player. 2 old analog tv's that weigh a ton (front/back). 2 brand new LCD tv's with digital tuners. 2 converter boxes still in boxes. One Direct TV receiver box from my house with out a dish so far. Cable jack hook up on outside of RV. Old tv's out and front new tv hooked up to original cable thing that was attached to old tv. Cranked up ant. and switched power box to ant. mode. Got local stations on normal channels for this area. Don't know what method these stations broadcast as of today. If I am out in a place that does not have cable will the new tv's need a converter box to pick up ant. only signal? How will introducing the Direct tv part of the equation change the use of ant. only? I am in over my head and am in need of advice. Not that the kid at Walmart wasn't a help... just don't really know if what he said was factual. My main question is about the new tv's needing a converter box(s) to run straight off outside ant.

Last edited:
I full-time in a travel trailer so i will try my best to help you.

If you're in an area without park cable and you have no satellite, the DirecTV box is useless. it needs a satellite connection and possibly aiming from a professional service. if you're using the roof-mounted antenna with its booster recepticle be aware it is not going to do much good in wind or rain. it performs lousy with DTV unless the weather is perfect. and it requires constant aiming. even so, you will need a DTV converter if your TVs are not digital-TVs or have a digital tuner. you will know if it's DTV-ready since it will have one of these symbols on the front of it:

DTV, SDTV, ATSC tuner, DTV Tuner Inside, DTV Tuner, HDTV tuner, DTV-ready.

If it only has 'HDTV-ready/built-in,' HDmonitor, etc it will not work even though it says those because it's only an HD capable TV but doesn't have a ATSC tuner for DTV. some also have a warning on the rear where the antenna plugs in that says something like this:

"This Television has an Analog Tuner, which means that after Feb 17, 2009, it will need to be..."

Although the real Transition is now June 12th, the label hasn't changed. however, you can use a converter's 'analog pass through' or turn the box off (which is all pass through is, it just turns the box off or puts it into standby) and switch to cable if it's available. Cable as of now isn't effected by the transition.

You can do what i did and buy a small non-powered antenna and converter, and plug the antenna into the 'Park Cable' port, and switch to 'Cable' and then you can use two or more converters on each TV needing one and simply plug it into the port on the wall and not wire tons of messy wire. you can also do that and if need be, switch back to the roof antenna to use it if there are channels that only it can pick up. some amps though cause more harm than good and make for very sporadic DTV reception. so depending on your setup or location, 'your mileage will vary'

Good Luck!

monger1

DTVUSA Rookie
Thank You

Your advice on my problem is appreciated. Let me try to clarify. I will need the converter box( no matter what) to run my new LCD that has a digital tuner built in if I use the roof ant. on RV. Is this correct?

monger1

DTVUSA Rookie
Your advice on my problem is appreciated. Let me try to clarify. I will need the converter box( no matter what) to run my new LCD that has a digital tuner built in if I use the roof ant. on RV. Is this correct?

If your new LCD has a digital tuner it will have a label saying so.

ATSC tuner, DTV Tuner, HD Tuner, HDTV Tuner, DTV-ready,

you're ok. but if it only has HD modes but no ATSC tuner you're going to need a box. obviously if your new TV does have a digital tuner you do NOT need boxes. but the antenna advice stands. i wouldn't use indoor antennas in RVs since they have a lot more interference as you're moving around and are limited with the metal skin on RVs.