Congress and the TV Spectrum

FP19

DTVUSA Rookie
All in all, I’d say that Congress threw us all under the bus, when in typical American capitalist fashion, they bowed to the lobbyists, and stole OUR analog spectrum, then gave it to the telecom companies, in exchange for this inferior digital crap. I think it can be improved with vastly higher signal strengths, and better quality converters, but is that even possible under FCC regulations, and if so, would the TV stations and the converter manufacturers, be willing to invest in better equipment? Frankly I don’t think the local stations really care, since most are carried on cable and satellite, and probably view the whole over the air TV thing as an anachronism. The trouble is, there are still a significant portion of us who are not served by cable, and don’t have good site lines for satellite reception.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I'm sorry to hear your problems with the digital transition. While I have heard of people losing service, I believe that to actually be the exception rather than the rule. In my experience, and the experience of others digital TV greatly improved my reception, picture quality, and channel choice. I would recommend posting your TV Fool report along with what type of antenna you currently use. Most digital reception problems are caused by the wrong antenna, incorrect antenna direction, or bad or unconnected cables.

FP19

DTVUSA Rookie
I have stacked roof top antennas. I've been told to raise the height on them another 10' which I'll probably do this weekend. Thanks for the help but I really wanted to discuss the Government's stealing of the spectrum. Apparently it's a taboo subject here? Or maybe I'm the only one who thinks that.....

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I don't think you understand the issue. The government did "reclaim" spectrum (RF channels 52-69) with the digital transition, but that has nothing to do with "analog spectrum." Digital TV uses the same channels 2-51 that analog TV did. If you would post your info we could help you with your reception problem. Are your antennas VHF or UHF or combo antennas? I don't think that anyone who has a working digital TV reception system wants to go back to analog. But, you seem more concerned about complaining about the problem than fixing it.