Question: Connect outside cable to Convertor box?

I downgraded to Time Warner's basic cable, then found out that my older Samsung LCD TV does not receive HD signals, so that I get about 65 channels, but all in SD, not HD.

So I bought an HD antenna, which receives about 37 channels, most in HD. But when the weather's bad, the signal randomly cuts in and out (i live 35 miles from the nearest transmitter).

My question is: Can I run Time Warner's outside coax cable into a convertor/tuner, then out to my tv so I can get all of my old channels in HD? Or do those boxes only work with an antenna? If so, any recommendations as to which to buy?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Cable and antenna TV are two different beasts. The reason that your TV is getting SD on cable is that your cable company is only giving you SD. It may be possible to get HD on your plan, but you'll have to rent one of the cable company's set top boxes.

As for the antenna: First, tell us what antenna you are using and where it is mounted. Then go to TVfool - TV Fool and post the resulting URL back here.

Armed with that vital information, we can determine a cause and suggest some cures.

Last edited:
No, the cable company's feed does give me HD on my bedroom tv, which is newer. Apparently, my Samsung does not have the same capability.

So can I use a set top convertor box to get HD on the older tv.

What is the year and model number of the Samsung TV. Some of what you are telling us does not make sense, but then I don't know what every cable company is providing in the way of signal, or what the capabilities of the Samsung television you have are. If the television has HDMI, or component YPbPr inputs you can use a QAM receiver with HDMI, or component YPbPr outputs to provide the HD signal to the TV. Composite inputs are SD. Many cable companies are starting to encrypt all HD signals so that a cable company box will be required.
If I could get 37 channels with an antenna I would work on getting a better antenna.
I am not the right person to offer advice on the purchase of a clear QAM receiver. Clear QAM signals are going away on many cable systems.
Steve