Connecting Converter, DVD, VCR & Direct TV

Tammy

DTVUSA Rookie
I have a converter box but I'm uncertain how to connect it to these other devices. Here is the current setup. I have an old syle TV without A/V jacks. The antenna goes into the VCR, from the VCR to an RF modulator, from the RF modulator to the Direct TV box. The satelite cable goes to the Direct TV box, and from there to the TV. There are audio / video cables connecting the RF modulator to the DVD. There are no other A/V cables connecting any other equipment. Can you tell me how to change this setup so I can add the converter box correctly?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I think there's a video or diagram on the net of exactly what you're asking for. If I get some extra time tonight, I'll try to post it here.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
One idea.

You'll need to purchase an A/B box ($5.00 or less) from radioshack, Amazon, etc.

remove coax (antenna cable) connection from TV (that connects to RF modulator, but don't disconnect it from the RF modulator). Connect that coax to the A input part of the A/B Switch

Now connect another coax wire from the output of the splitter and into the coax input connection into the TV (the one where you originally had the RF modulator plugged into).

Converter Box
Run Coax from Output of RCA DTA800 Converter Box to the B input of the A/B box. Now connect an antenna to the converter box.

You should be able to leave all the rest of your setup the same. By pressing the A button on your A/B box, you'll be able to watch Satellite TV, by pressing the B button, you'll be able to watch local television channels through the converter box.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I forgot to ask...how are you receiving local channels right now? Through the DirecTV box, or through an antenna? According to DirecTV,

We offer local channels to more than 94% of the nation's TV households, with more markets coming soon. Plus, by the end of 2008, DIRECTV will offer locals in HD in over 88% of U.S. TV households.*
If you do receive local channels through them, you won't need a converter box at all.

Tammy

DTVUSA Rookie
I just got your message. I'll try the A/B Switch. I'm currently using an antenna to get local channels. Direct TV doesn't offer it in my area, at least not yet.