considering 3D TV

Suzanne

DTVUSA Rookie
Am seeking opinions on whether or not a 3D TV is worth the investment. How much material is out there to make this meaningful? I like 3D but is this like HD was at the beginning and it depends on how many products are out there?

"A lot of hype, not a lot of content."
Shut up really :( PS3, games and movie, VUDU, ALLLLLLL cable services provide a network. Only 2 channels at the moment, one on demand type, and ESPN. A plethra of movies are dropping this year in 3D, and are atleast 20 of them already out to suite your needs for a little bit until releases are more fluid which will be real quick here.
You also have 3D photography, and webcontent.

So MrProgi, what do you really know?

Suzanne

DTVUSA Rookie
My concern is the lack of release. 20 is nothing without a guarantee of more coming. The 3D photography is of interest but on the balance, that's the problem. It may be smarter to wait and see if 3D has staying power.

My concern is the lack of release. 20 is nothing without a guarantee of more coming. The 3D photography is of interest but on the balance, that's the problem. It may be smarter to wait and see if 3D has staying power.
Put it this way, if 3D fails...You still have an AWSOME 2D TV for the time...It's not even relative to Betamax, HD dvd...etc...
Those are all media issues, and if they fail, no more, and your stuck with a player that can play 4 movies...exageration of course.
Don't go all in then, but you get what you pay for... You can always by an Vizio Edge for the cost concious. Some of them even come with glasses...bad thing is they use edge lit screens, which in some cases can provide an uneven amount of backlighting.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Am seeking opinions on whether or not a 3D TV is worth the investment. How much material is out there to make this meaningful? I like 3D but is this like HD was at the beginning and it depends on how many products are out there?
Prices are going to come down, but if you wait too long there will be another technology that will come along anyway. I'd say check your budget first, if you can afford to spend an extra $200-$400 above a really good but non-3DTV, then by all means, go for the 3DTV.

There are 3D naysayers that will tell you to not get it because it's not good enough, but I say go to a store and test it out before you buy. Make sure you try a couple of different models too.

Suzanne

DTVUSA Rookie
I would advise using the technology first. You need to see if you think it's worth it. If you are feeling guilty about it, maybe it's not the right time.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
So MrProgi, what do you really know?
Pogi. MR. Pogi.
Look around at my posts, and see what I know. I'm an electronics technician and BUILT my first computer was back in the 80's - when you had to PROgram a computer before it would do anything.

Seriously, there's only a few games and movies out at this point, and though there's more releases in the works, it's still not a lot of content yet. That will change, of course. But that's my point: There's not a lot of content YET. And most of it will be on Blu-Ray, so you'll have to buy a 3-D Blu-Ray, too. You'll be watching most things in 2d until then.

But, with prices dropping, it may be worth a few extra dollars to get a 3D capable TV if you're in the market for a TV. But I wouldn't toss aside your current HDTV if it's working just fine just to get the 3D - I'd wait until it needs replacing, then do it, and by then the market will have sorted itself out, technology will have improved, and prices will have stabilized. But I'm not an early adopter anyway. I'll let others pay the premium prices and be unpaid beta testers for new tech.

Again, If you are looking for a new TV, it may be worth the premium for 3D.

Last edited:
Pogi. MR. Pogi.
Look around at my posts, and see what I know. I'm an electronics technician and BUILT my first computer was back in the 80's - when you had to PROgram a computer before it would do anything.

Seriously, there's only a few games and movies out at this point, and though there's more releases in the works, it's still not a lot of content yet. That will change, of course. But that's my point: There's not a lot of content YET. And most of it will be on Blu-Ray, so you'll have to buy a 3-D Blu-Ray, too. You'll be watching most things in 2d until then.

But, with prices dropping, it may be worth a few extra dollars to get a 3D capable TV if you're in the market for a TV. But I wouldn't toss aside your current HDTV if it's working just fine just to get the 3D - I'd wait until it needs replacing, then do it, and by then the market will have sorted itself out, technology will have improved, and prices will have stabilized. But I'm not an early adopter anyway. I'll let others pay the premium prices and be unpaid beta testers for new tech.

Again, If you are looking for a new TV, it may be worth the premium for 3D.
Dude
I work in nuclear imaging (PET), and in parallel was an aircraft electrician and enviromentals systems tech. for the Air Force .
Program a PC in the 80's?? So you had to run a little command line mojo :p so you could play pacman
You just have another philosophy it seems, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Who the hell wants to get on the bleeding edge, and watch possibly upconverted 480P content... You said it yourself, you already have the PS3... Bluray players are 50 bucks, and movies are 10 bucks...
Unpaid beta tester, you also said you "built" your own PC in the 80's... nothing more worthless than a PC in them days running 900 baud to do what? Took 2 days to calculate pi to the .0001, Play war games! ...did you solder the CPU, and 16MB of memory on there too.... If you want to have opinions, there is no better way than experiencing it first hand! As you probably already know.....
I can see we're going to have a great friendship!! :D