Constant Updates from Windows Vista, Itunes, and FireFox

O-O

DTVUSA Member
It seems like I'm updating one piece of software every week whether its my operating system, web browser, or whatever else I have on my PC. Is there really a need for all of this?? I swear, iTunes updates every other month which requires a gigantic download! :duh:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
It seems like I'm updating one piece of software every week whether its my operating system, web browser, or whatever else I have on my PC. Is there really a need for all of this?? I swear, iTunes updates every other month which requires a gigantic download! :duh:
I have never updated iTunes and never had a problem. If you are using a MS OS I would recommend their security updates, but wouldn't do any of the other updates they spam you for. If you run a MS OS, you will also need a good virus protection and they need to be kept current.

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
@inxs
What iTunes version is running on your computer?

I have build a great protection system on my computer and I found out that some program even update themselves without letting you know.
I never ever gave iTunes the ok for updating without permission, but recently my firewall caught iTunes trying this.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
@inxs
What iTunes version is running on your computer?

I have build a great protection system on my computer and I found out that some program even update themselves without letting you know.
I never ever gave iTunes the ok for updating without permission, but recently my firewall caught iTunes trying this.
I won't be on my laptop running MS until after August 3, 2009 and will let you know what version is running then.

Aries

DTVUSA Member
You're getting updates to add and fix features, as well as close security holes and improve performance, and you're complaining?

Never download MalwareBytes, I get 2+ meg of updates every whenever-it-feels-like-it.

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
Aries do you have a virus producing posts? :welcome:

Yes, i do hate some updates.
For examples: I have Tunebite installed on my computer.
With the new version of Firefox this is not working any longer, because Tunebite does not support some parts of this Firefox version.

And if it comes to MS- updates, I hate it if I get the message to update something which is not on my computer.
I do not want to have all MS stuff on my computer so why do they want me to update and get stuff I do not want.

Itunes is the same. Every few weeks there comes and update and if you do it not manually they give you as update the Safari browser.

:cheer2:

I don't like it when Windows updates and then decides to restart your machine while you're busy doing something. no way to stop it during the countdown. thankfully that and auto updates can be turned off in control panel, and you can update manually as one would have done during Windows 98.

I never did like my computer doing something without me telling it to, and it includes Microsoft software. especially when it forces a reboot i didn't need at that moment.

I use Windows XP and have all that turned off and a bunch of non-needed services and it has greatly sped it all up plus i don't have any computer troubles other than our crappy wifi router kicking the bucket every 10 minutes.

I lost faith in MS updates after all that Windows Genuine Advantage crap. i saw a brand new Dell Dimension at work having its OEM installed XP being labeled 'pirate' and you couldn't change the background any more. it decided to put this black background with 'Your version of windows may be a victim of software counterfeiting' and resets any background in place of it with that screen each 60 minutes.

Which sucks as i figured MS fixed that issue but apparently false-positives are still out there, along with the update being installed as part of auto updates without notifying anyone. plus the WGAtray.exe app which powers this whole mess is a spyware component, 'phoning home' to Microsoft and i don't condone spyware, even from a legit source.

Source(s):

http://www.pcworld.com/article/1263...ine_advantage_program_qualify_as_spyware.html

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/01/8690.ars

Last edited: