Constructing a 180-186 Mhz specific antenna

timotb

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I would like to Construct a 180-186 Mhz specific VHF TV antenna. My current antenna gets all the stations except Channel Fox 8 in Cleveland. It's my understanding they are the only remaining VHF station broadcasting on this lower band.

I've tried antenna calculator programs with no luck because they ask questions this novice does not know. Could someone draw a simple sketch showing lengths, raw materials and connections points. A simple hint like this is all I need. I plan to mount it on top of a 3/4 pole with the working UHF below, through a pre-amp, assuming this doesn't cause interference.

Thanks!

With out seeing a TV Fool report, and not knowing anything about your current antenna installation. It is not possible for us to point you toward a do it your self VHF antenna that might work for your location. A simple folded dipole, or full wave loop combined with your current antenna using a UVSJ might be all that is needed, or you may need a long boom channel cut yagi. We have no way of knowing which direction to point you without knowing more about your situation.
Steve

timotb

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Here is my TVfool info. Im going after WJW real Channel 8. The only one I cant get.

The link>>>> TV Fool

Im using a preamp and pointing the antenna NW. I can even get channel 27 with this aim which is 90 degrees to the right.

:welcome: timotb

This calculator does all of the math for you. Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM - VHF/UHF Yagi Antenna Design

However, you may not need to build a specific antenna. Please post the results of your free antenna survey here for us to study, available here: TV Fool

Jim

Last edited:

timotb

DTVUSA Jr. Member
The calculator suggested above is below (had to copy and paste from small pop up screen, no URL attached) The only number I set was 180MHz, dont understand the rest. The chart does not say at what two points to attach a coax female, what material to use. Im a little unclear about this.

Design Synopsys

180 MHz, 11 Elements, 12.293 dBd Estimated Gain

35.5 Degrees Horizontal Beam Width

37.3 Degrees Vertical Beam Width

1.25" Diameter, Metalic Boom with Bonded Elements. Boom Correction of 0.397 applied.

Electrical Boom Length of 165.1" (13' 9-1/8"). Allow for overhang when cutting boom to length.

0.25" (0-1/4") Driven Element Diameter.

0.25" (0-1/4") Parasitic Element Diameter.

Suggested Stacking Distance for 2 Yagis:

94.1" (7' 10-1/8") Horizontally

89.6" (7' 5-9/16") Vertically

0.197" (3/16") Dimensional tolerance required for element lengths.

Antenna Dimensions

Cumulative
Spacing

Element

Element
Length

Zero

REFL

32-1/2"

13-1/8"

D.E.

31-5/8"

18-1/16"

D1

29-9/16"

29-13/16"

D2

29-5/16"

43-15/16"

D3

29"

60-5/16"

D4

28-11/16"

78-11/16"

D5

28-7/16"

98-3/8"

D6

28-3/16"

119"

D7

28"

140-5/8"

D8

27-13/16"

163-1/4"

D9

27-11/16"

What antenna are you using now? Some very good UHF antennas are almost totally deaf on VHF. Do you really need to go to all the time, and expense of trying to build a channel cut long boom yagi when a VHF high band yagi, or high gain dual band antenna can be purchased. It is not always a lower cost, or practical alternative to build it your self. Do you have the tools, and building skills needed to take on such a project? I do not consider a long boom channel cut yagi to be a good beginners antenna project. The most common driven element used on long boom yagi TVRO antennas is a folded dipole fed with a 300 to 75 ohm balun attached to the dipole on the 300 ohm side, and the coax on the 75 ohm side. There are other designs that are more efficient in narrow band applications. The channel 8 signal you seek is not real strong, but it's not predicted to be totally down in the weeds at your location. Do you really need the gain and directivity of a long boom yagi at your location? Have you looked at other home built VHF gain antenna designs, and written them off as not having enough gain, or being impractical for your application? From my way of looking at it the loop reflector would be the simplest, least expensive high VHF antenna to build if it provides the gain needed in your situation.
https://sites.google.com/site/maycreates/ota-setup/diy-vhf-loop-antenna
Hi-VHF Circular Loop + Reflector
Hi-VHF Square Loop + Reflector
There are other high VHF antennas with more gain that could be easily constructed if you have the time and patience.
I'm not going to fill up the page with links at this point in time.
In the county where I live all full power television broadcast transmitters are high band VHF. The majority of television markets in this country have one or more VHF stations. The majority of television stations are currently UHF.
Steve

timotb

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Wingard HD 9032 I agree, you might be right, building is way more complicated than this amateur can do after looking at that f-loop and back screen. Im just a stubborn soul that wants to get that channel. Can you suggest something commercially made that I could add to my 9032?

Last edited:
Now that's easy.
Antennacraft by RadioShack Y10-7-13 Highband-Broadband VHF TV Antenna (Y10-7-13) from Solid Signal
The next one might do the job, but as I mentioned the channel 8 signal is pretty far down the list.
Antennacraft by RadioShack Y5-7-13 Highband-Broadband VHF Yagi TV Antenna for Channels 7-13 (Y5-7-13) from Solid Signal
You will also need an UVSJ.
Pico Macom UVSJ UHF VHF Band Separator/Combiner for Antenna (UVSJ) from Solid Signal
I enjoy building antennas, but my building skills are quite poor.
If you want to study some antenna designs including many high band VHF ones spend some time on this site.
Albums By holl_ands - ImageEvent
It will take some time to find and study the high band VHF ones, and the figure out how to construct the models out of real world building materials. I've often thought of trying to build one of these.
Hi-VHF Hourglass Loop
If you want something compact that might work, and like to spend money.
Antennas Direct C5 ClearStream 5 High Gain Digital VHF TV Antenna (ClearStream5) from Solid Signal

Steve

timotb

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks Steve. I will study your proposal. My building skills are fair to good, just hope your Engineering skills are better than your building skills (as you report).